[BaadAssGremlins] re: so many issues 71 hornet wagon

[BaadAssGremlins] re: so many issues 71 hornet wagon

Linda, several problems might be at play here. The first culprit (to me) would be the
vacuum fuel pump. Possibly the first thing I would do is replace it with mechanical fuel
pump, about $20 at Auto Zone. You will have to reroute your vacuum wiper hose somewhere to
intake, not a problem though. But will receive constant flow to carb, not occasional. I
have had this problem with several AMCs before though. And all were eliminated with
changing to mechanical fuel pump. Something else mentioned below by Joe Fulton is the
lines.

On the 71 Matador 2 door I had with 14,000 miles, it was also a vacuum wipered car. Didn't
think much of it, but was hard starting, even with new carb, and always seemed starved for
gas. I put new carb on it, and new fuel pump, mechanical, and rerouted the vacuum wiper
hose directly into intake, no issues. However, on the Matador, if you get under it, the
car has two metal fuel lines, the first one is from gas tank sender to about right under
door. Then other from same to fuel pump. There was a small, about 3 inch, fuel line
connecting the two under the car near door, looked fine but had never been replaced since
1971, so when touched, it was brittle, and when squeezed, pourous! So I decided to replace
the small 5 inch line from sending unit at tank to line, and also replace this small 3
inch connector, 'hidden' (because I had never seen a AMC with a connector there) line, and
any fuel lines from fuel pump to carb.

I may add that I run not one, but TWO clear see thru fuel filters on all my AMCs, one of
them between the frame and fuel pump in the engine bay, the other right before carb, even
with tansk that I have had professionally redone, ones a year I change them out, and has
never failed that the lower one usually catches something the upper one is 2nd line of
defense however.

Anyhows, the 71 Matador with 'constant' flow of gas was amazing, just night and day after
different fuel pump and lines. I drove that car a total of 250 miles in 11 years I owned
it, but wanted to keep miles under 15,000. Still, I would take it out on Beltway 8 and
open it up, and there was no hesitation and that 304cid/210hp engine simply flew. And
whenever I started the vehicle, cold or hot day, simply press gas once or twice, and it
would crank up easily from fuel in pot, before then it was a battle of wits and would I
burn up starter before car started, or how many cans of started fluid would use before
idle!

Anyways, it seems that simply changing out that duel fuel pump will solve your issues,
keep us posted.
Eddi eStakes