[BaadAssGremlins] seat belt interlock system

[BaadAssGremlins] seat belt interlock system

Someone (as usual) was having trouble with their 74 AMC with the nightmare called seat
Belt Interlock System. I have a original wiring schematic on my site to help one figure
out this Area 51 Bermuda Trainagle of wiring on their classic AMC

http://www.planethoustonamx.com/main/seatbeltinterlock.htm

which might help others. For what it is worth if anything, every 1974 anything AMC I have
ever had has had some sort of electrical wiring issues. If you have ever looked at AMC
shop manuals from 67-73 they are about 1 inch thick, then for 74 they are about size of
War & Peace, and Ivanhoe, big Harry Potter book and most dedicated to 'troubleshoooting'
wiring/electricals. This Seat Belt Interlock thing shoved down US automakers throats (all
of them, AMC, Ford, GM, Mopar) back in 73 was such a nightmare, Congress stepped in and
recinded the Law on this mess. A number of 75's were still made with it, and I believe a
few 76s non AMC models also got stuck with it.

If you have ever looked at a 74 AMC owners manual it basically says if car don't start,
get out and push matchstick into the red dealie on passenger side engine bay, which is the
override switch. I could imagine how many people did that in 74 in snowstorm or out on
date with new AMC would not start. Some of my own 'problems' with this Seat Belt Interlock
wiring has been (in no certain order) fuel & temp gauges giving inaccurate, false readings
or pegging, headlights turn off for no reason at night, courtesy lights may/may not work,
panel lights may/may not work, or flicker, brake, tail or both suddenly go out. And of
course sometimes fuses blow, keep in this is on a mess of different 74 AMCs I have owned,
not unique to one model either. The 74 Javelin, 304/AT 90K mile car I recently sold I
rewired it after having dash lights problems, then worked great. There was a matchstick
stuck in, and broke off decades ago in the seat belt module under hood also; the 74 AMX I
have has a screw screwed down into module from 1970s, yikes.

Anyways, hope that file above will help others. Feel free to mention any Seat Belt
Interlock problems you have encountered thru decades also. American Performance in FL I
believe reproduced a bypass wiring kit for the module years ago.
Eddie Stakes
713.464.8825
eddiestakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.planethoustonamx.com