[BaadAssGremlins] 1970 Gremlin and 1974 Javelin

[BaadAssGremlins] 1970 Gremlin and 1974 Javelin

Hi. I'm relatively new to this board. I've got 2 AMC cars. Bought a 70 Gremlin back in 72 and the 74 Javelin back in 75, both from the original owners.

The Gremlin was fairly gutted by the original owner's kid so it needs interior work (probably will go to an upholstery shop to have it done in a non-stock manner).

The Javelin has appx 28K original and came from the factory with a 360-4v, 4-spd and a Model 20 Twin Grip 3:54. I just acquired and built a 401 for the Jav, but by the time I was finished I had an easy $10K in the motor (counting the clutch assembly, Edelbrock heads/intake, hyd-roller cam, stainless roller rockers, Chevy I-Beam rods, custom KB .030 over pistons, internal/external oiling mods, various other accessories). It was reman'd, not rebuilt... alot more than I had originally budgeted for. In any case, I was considering something similar for the Gremlin, but the cost is just way too prohibitive... and it' getting almost impossible to find a 401...

The Gremlin currently has a 360, 4-spd (originally out of a late 70 Javelin and a redone DANA-60 from a 66 Plymouth Hemi Belvedere. Original gears were 3:55 and I had 4:11 installed years ago. I'm thinking about pulling the 360+trans in favor of an LSx. Any thoughts, warnings, etc that I should know about before I jump in with both feet?

Any thoughts good/bad are all welcome.

Thanks.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional