Re: [BaadAssGremlins] engine question

401s came out in 1971- A 70 360 would have the better heads and valvetrain setup but you would be better off swaping the crank for a 72 or newer so you could use a T-F trans.

--- On Mon, 3/2/09, Luke Wardwell <horneteer2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
From: Luke Wardwell <horneteer2@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [BaadAssGremlins] engine question
To: "AMC Group" <baadassgremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Monday, March 2, 2009, 6:33 PM

I am still trying to decide if I want to drop a v8 in my Hornet.
One engine I found is in a 401 in an Ambassador wagon.  The owner swears up and down it's a '69, but I didnt think they made 401s in '69. Maybe its a 360 or 390.
Either way he said I could have it for $300, but he said the timing chain broke on it.
Is that something I should stay away from or would it be ok with machining?
I also found a 360 in a '70 Wagoneer.  Would an older engine be ok or should I find one closer to '76 like my car is? I am also curious about how much horsepower a stock 904 trans and rear can handle. Also I  think I know where I can get a rear out of a '73 v8 Sportabout.
Thanks for any help                  Luke