Re: [BaadAssGremlins] My New 72 Matador Steering Wheel Question

Doc, what color is the steering wheel you are pulling out of the Mataor?

--- On Sat, 1/10/09, Eddie Stakes <eddiestakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
From: Eddie Stakes <eddiestakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [BaadAssGremlins] My New 72 Matador Steering Wheel Question
To: BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Saturday, January 10, 2009, 12:01 PM

Hi Doc, the three spoke steering wheel first appeared in 1971. It was used into 1983 in various models, everything from AMX to Spirit, and usually can be found in X and DL, also Limited, Sport, GT and later model AMXs to name a few. I may add that some of the later model ones in 1977, especially in 77 AMX, 78 AMX, and 79-80 AMX had a fatter grip wrapped in leather called Leathergrip. Really nice and desirable, but hard to find.

Here is a regular three spoke on ebay now:

and here is Leathergrip

which while spokes are different, the Leathergrip shows how fat is, and again, you can find the three spoke Leathergrips on some models I mentioned above.

If your hands get cold or your AMC don't have a working heater (my 82 Eagle heater core crapped out this morning ight as cold front blew in!) here is something for you, but would have to change your name to Snoop Doccy Doc

This is what your 72 Matador probably has, this photo is of the 72 Matador 401 46K mile car I had a few years ago:

rather bland steering wheel indeed!

Keep in mind it is a easy switch over to the sport steering wheel, but you will need a rear spacer for the steering wheel, it is a plastic ring that gose around column, I believe some of the vendors have reproduced them also, take care,