[BaadAssGremlins] Yahoo! News Story - Big 3 carmakers beg for $25B, warn

[BaadAssGremlins] Yahoo! News Story - Big 3 carmakers beg for $25B, warn ...

Yes, much of the profits do indeed go back to country of origin. Sort of
what a 'global economy' is all about. I remember the US at one point used to
make millions of different types of televisions and radios. Steel used to be
made in US. I could go on and on here, but the US in past 15 years or so has
turned more into a 'idea' and 'service' economy. So while many companies
have their headquarters here, most of the manufacturing ends up in places
where labor is cheaper. So many folks end up who might have manufactured
items in US originally, have to retrain then end up in different areas of
work. Less benefits, health care, if at all (take this from someone who has
been in the bar/restaurant industry 25+ years), less pay, and zero loyalty
for company they might work for. I remember my dad was really loyal to AMC.
Hell, lots of people could go to work for one company out of high school or
college, and be with that company until retirement. Not a whole lot of
places like that left in US I can even think of. Most are revolving doors.

Joe, I don't think the problem is most folks don't want to see/believe this,
it seems (to me) more of media not reporting it. I have not seen a story yet
about any of the import plants here in US for instance. You know how the
media selectively figures out what is good for us and puts happy face on it.
Maybe one day they will show how much money one spends at Wal Mart goes to
China, every time someone fills up tank $$$ go to Saudi Arabia or Venezuela,
and every time a new building is built (and they are buidling a crapload of
them here in Houston) the steel girders are stamped in Korea. Might open
some eyes but would it be good television or more people interested in
seeing who wins American Idol.
Eddie Stakes
713.464.8825
eddiestakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx