[BaadAssGremlins] Re: hurricane ike/power on 12 days later

[BaadAssGremlins] Re: hurricane ike/power on 12 days later

Eddie. I'm very glad to hear that you,your faml;iy AND your AMC's
survived!!!! Saying a thankyou prayer was the best thing you could
have done. Hope to hear you are back to normal fairly soon. Joe--- In
BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Eddie Stakes" <eddiestakes@...> wrote:

> Our electricity came on at 5:21pm this afternoon, and after 12 days,
quite a
> ride. There are 1 in 4 Houstonians without power with Centerpoint
still as I
> write. At height of Hurricane Ike, there was over 4 million peoplw
with no
> power.
>
> So after 12 DAYS, we have electricity, phone, cable and internet
again. Not
> all people do and across street have no power.
>
> Paige, me and the boys are doing fine, and only got mimimal
hurricane damage
> like hole in roof from 500 lb pecan branch. Luckily the 100+mph wind
blew it
> where it did or it would have probably went thru roof, and Noah was
sleeping
> in his bunk bed right below where it would have hit, could have been
really
> bad. Amazingly my fence I built a few months ago by myself (140 feet!!)
> didn't even lose a plank. Paige's 88 Eagle got cracked windshield from
> branch, and my 72 Ambassador SST wagon and 81 Eagle, both a street
over at
> Phil's Auto Repair, were buried in sheetmetal....but no damage,
would have
> never known it if you saw them as could barely see either under the
metal
> frames and sheetmetal blown off from surrounding businesses, but
both ok.
> And neither the 69 BBO MOD Javelin and the 74 Javelin (and 74 Maxi
Blue AMX)
> I just all got in got any damage, but were buried in my driveway
with oak
> and elm limbs. A few houses over a tree went thru a house like
butter, and
> then cratered the guy's 'new' 66 Chevy II Nova he had only gotten a
week
> before Ike, I got some photos of that will post later.
>
> The hurricane itself was one of the strangest hurricanes I have ever
seen. I
> don't want to take away anything from those who have lost everything
(and
> there are many) 50-60 miles from me, but whole communitis have
VANISHED and
> are only known now thru maps like Gilchrist, Surfside, Bolivar, Crystal
> Beach for instance. And Galveston is a huge disaster zone with piles
of mud,
> snakes, mosquitos, no power, gas, and even alligators eating dead cows.
> There was a 8-9 foot storm surge down there before a drop of rain
had even
> fallen, which shows the huge size of the storm.
>
> A plea was made for people who live in high rises and condos above
15 floors
> to get out as wind gusts had already been measured at 130-140mph 500
feet
> up! I think this is why so much trees and power poles down.
>
> Have seen crews from OH, MI, FL, AZ, CA, ID, OK, GA, LA, MS, AL, MO,
NE to
> name a few places linesmen have been brought in from to help put
"the energy
> capital of the world" back online.
>
> Not sure how many of you have ever ate a MRE (meals ready to eat)
FEMA and
> Red Cross pass out but they are quite good. All sorts from
enchaladas to
> spagetti and most have a small packet of Tony Scheries or tiny airport
> bottle of Tobasco in them. Tons of carbs and calories after all,
they were
> designed for our fighting men and women but us civilians like them
too and
> we ended up with several boxes of them.
>
> I did go to St Alexander's this morning after stopping at bank, and
say a
> few prayers. Got a lot to be thankful for on our end compared to
some of the
> people on our street whose houses cut in 1/2 by trees weighing
TONS....or as
> mentioned those poor folks south and east of us 50+ miles who took
brunt of
> Ike.
>
> If you have tried emailing me, or calling me, again, I HAVE HAD NO
POWER for
> 12 days. If you ordered something from me, the mail has been
sporadic....and
> please note that many US Post Offices DID NOT HAVE POWER either,
much less
> full service, like the Town & Country one I ship things from could
only take
> cash and only could sell stamps, so no priority mail, or anything else.
>
> I will be attempting to try to play catch up in next few days, so if
you
> don't hear from me, it is a huge FEMA line of emails, and ironically
the
> first person to get thru on my phone a few minutes ago after it
powered back
> up was longtime AMC vendor Allen Walrath in NY asking if we were ok.
If you
> ordered something from me, I have started shipping again, especially
FedEx
> which had powere 4 days after hurricane Ike; and now the post office
near me
> is back up to full service so AMC stuff will be going out again
shortly,
> thanks,
> Eddie Stakes
> 713.464.8825