Re: [BaadAssGremlins] WTF is wrong with the owner of this thing??

Re: [BaadAssGremlins] WTF is wrong with the owner of this thing??

I have a 78 and I thought that number was low. Then if I got this right if you take the 660,000 Gremlins produced and have a survival rate of 2% you would come up with a little over 13,000 Gremlins still in existence. Just from my personal observations I would think it would be very hard to find 13,000 Gremlins left in this county. I knew there weren't a whole lot of them left but putting if like this I appreciate mine a whole lot more.
Terry

Tom H <bigrigbear@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Terry
I am guessing of the 2% survival rate for 78 Gremlins, but it would'nt surprise me a bit if only 440 were still on the road.  They made barely 22,000 making it the lowest # model year. Many of the sales were to rental, fleet and govt agencies which are usually low-enders and not desirable as re-sales. Lots of teenegers had them as 1st cars = wrecked or thrashed. Add to that the fact that economy cars generally are not usually held on to.  How many Vegas, Colts, B-210 and even early Corollas are still in use despite MUCH higher sales? People will spend a lot to restore a Camero or GTO - they are desirable.  People thought of Gremlins at best as fun cheap transportation and at worst wierd, so-so economy cars and when big $$$ repairs came along they junked them.  I wish that wasnt the case as here in  Nor Calif I have not found a Gremlin of any year at the dozen or so wrecking yards and have seen only 2 of any year on the road - a very nice 73 and a Eagle Kammback in the last days of a very hard life.  Fortunately there is the occasional Concord or Eagle so many parts can be had due to AMC's fortunate cross model use of parts, but Gremlin only, esp. 77-78, thats a whole lot scarcer.
Have a Good One
Tom

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now. __._,_.___