[BaadAssGremlins] "Mile - 0 - More" camshafts

[BaadAssGremlins] "Mile - 0 - More" camshafts

You can install a 'Mileage Camshaft' -

which is the 'Torque Cam' specified in most cam manufacturers
catalogs - this will help mileage.

Get the Kit and have the
spring pressures dialed in.

Seeing you've a Restored Original - I'll hazard the following
suggestions:

join strokers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Obtain a 1993 AMC 4.0 cylinder head and 1988 AMC EAGLE
intake manifold.  {just the manifold is a great improvement}

Head comes with a nice cast alloy valve cover.

Use the '88 - '89 4.0 stainless exhaust
header - might find a 'Borla' on eBay.

1993 4.0 cyl. head has all the Flow Bench Refinements
that DCx poured cash into. Reviews by swappers are +Pos.

Port floors were raised to give a straighter shot to
the valves. Airflow doesn't stall as the 232/258 do.

Your current cylinder head has pretty bad flow characteristics.

It wasn't until the 4.0 engines that AMC did anything about
creating a  'Performance' Inline 6 that got mileage.

AMC choked the hell out of the 258 Pacer seeking mileage
after the Rotary deal fell thru.  The choked 258 killed
the Pacer as they had 'problems' and zero power.

EFi could be had by stripping out an '89 JEEP Cherokee
harness / ECM.

Use the '93 4.0 head - a '99 4.0 intake and an
'88 - '89 "Renix" ECm .  "Reix" is Bendix / Renault.

Use a very big Transmission Oil Cooler with that lock up
automatic.

Look into a 'deep' sump rough cast pan for a few extra
quarts of fluid.  Polished alum. sheds alot less heat
than does rough cast.

Install a 'stud' kit for the trans. pan - allows you
to change the filter without pulling out what few threads
there are - and developing pesky leaks.

The factory convertors had a bad habit of cracking at the
'neck' -  where it goes into the pump, so keep an eye out
for leaks.  The late model DCx lock up convertors and
aftermarket addressed this problem.

Re: Economy car?

Posted by: "Robert" baddassgremlin@xxxxxxx   baddassgremlin

Tue Sep 4, 2007 8:12 pm (PST)

Todd, I'd be happy with 18 MPG. Maybe the car did get better then
that 30 years ago, but time has a way of making things not work as
well as they should, no matter what you do. Bob in MN.

--- In BaadAssGremlins@yahoogroups.com, "Todd McGonagle"
<rails3@...> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just joined. I have a restored 76 Gremlin Custom.
>
> If you have a Gremlin with a 6, what mileage do you get? I can't
seem
> to break 18 which is no better than my Jeep CJ8. Rumor and
doccuments
> from the time period seem to suggest it should get 24 to 28 mpg.
When I
> rebilt the tranny I even replaced it with one from a Concord DL. The
> tranny with the locking torque converter so, in theory, I should get
> even better mileage.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Todd
> 1976 Gremlin custom 232