[BaadAssGremlins] 4 SPEED CONVERSION

Terry, I have done this mod on my '74 Gremmie (factory V-8 3-speed) you can use your factory trans crossmember, but you will have to bolt a 1/4" steel plate to the bottom in the center. The plate must have 8 holes drilled into it (4 to bolt to the crossmember and 4 for the 4 speed trans mount) and must extend forward from the crossmember about 3.5 to 4 inches. The bellhousing and T-10 4-speed (I assume your using a T-10) transmission combination will be shorter than your factory 3-speed trans and bellhousing. You can use a driveshaft from a '68 to '70 AMX with factory 4-speed (front yoke from the 3-speed will NOT work) and it bolts right in. If you intend to use your speedometer you will need a speedo cable from a 4-speed Hornet (since they only put them in SC/360's that may be hard to find) OR American Performance in Florida made a custom one for me from a sample I sent them. Also don't forget about the mod to the trans tunnel for the 4-speed shifter. I was fortunate to find someone with a SC/360 4-speed car that had converted his to an automatic (for health reasons) and he sold me the special fiberglass piece that bolts to the tunnel and has the correct round hole for the shifter arm to pass thru. I think this part is available from American Performance also (they list it for early Javlin and AMX).  Hope this helps, Gary 'Themix2' in Cleveland.....Sorry, I can't do pix these days as my digi camera is acting up.

Automotive radiator repair