Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Novice questions - 1981 AMC Spirit (258)

Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Novice questions - 1981 AMC Spirit (258)

Hi Steve,

I just rebuilt the 258 six in my 73 Grem. I think they
are the same motor. I did not notice any way to adjust
the lifters. when I replaced them they just dropped
right in. I had a Gremlin with lifter noise before and
I put STP oil treatment in it and after driving it for
a while noise was gone.

For the door I'm not totaly sure. you should take the
door panel off and look in there. I have had handles
that wouldn't work before and the little rod that
connected to the latch had fallen off. Perhaps
somthing like this is the problem.

Or someone else here will probably know :-)

--- Steve <skonkle@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I bought myself a Spirit for the summer... I plan on
> moving overseas
> in the fall.
>
> Couple of questions
>
> 1) Confirmation  - the lifters are adjustable? I
> have a lot of lifter
> noise.
>
> 2) Driver's side door lock problems. When I try to
> open the door from
> the inside or outside, the lock drops down. So, I
> have to hold the
> lock up with one hand(or with key) and open the door
> handle with the
> other. I noticed the spring on the inside door
> handle is broken, but
> is there another spring in the latch mechanism that
> would provide
> tension to keep the door up?
>
> I hope to have pictures up soon.
>

> Thanks in advance,