Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Fuel System Problems

Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Fuel System Problems

In a message dated 6/11/2007 7:50:32 AM Eastern Daylight Time, AMC74HORNET@xxxxxxxxx writes:
First of all I don't like those clear plastic fuel filters. I use 2 metal Fram filters part no#G3606. One before the fuel pump and one before the carb. Next I would replace the rubber fuel line between the fuel tank pickup/sender and the metal line on the chassis. A friend had a similar problem to the one you described Charlie on his Javelin. It turned out the rubber line  had a crack in it and would suck air instead of fuel some times when under a load, but not all the time. He is a professional mechanic and it drove him nuts before finding it. As a last resort I would drop the tank and have it boiled out at a radiator shop. Fortunately for me new Eagle fuel tanks are still available and they  fit the 74 Hornet so I just replaced the whole tank, sender and all in both cars.
"Doc"
Thanks Doc. Interesting point about the rubber lines. My dad said he had an old Plymouth that drove him nuts starving for fuel. turned out the inside of the rubber line was deteriorating and a piece of rubber was dangling inside the line clogging the works like cholesterol blocks our arteries. I'll change the fuel pump and the rubber lines and go from there. While I'm at it, I'll blow some compressed air through the line into the gas tank.
Charlie

"Cool Factor X"

See what's free at AOL.com.