Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Re: Oh no! More 258 woes: HELP Me Please! Again!

Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Re: Oh no! More 258 woes: HELP Me Please! Again!

In a message dated 6/5/2007 2:00:34 AM Eastern Daylight Time, rebade1@xxxxxxxxx writes:
Is it possible that the crankshaft or cam were changed at one point
and someone setup the firing order differently? Just a thought.

Perhaps scribe a mark at the distributor, then move the wires to
where the book says they should be, then try to time/start it and see
where it goes? This way, you could place the dist back where it was
along with the wires, before you try changing the timing now...

Ralph in MN
Thanks Ralph. I wish I knew more about the car's history. The young guy I bought it from was the second owner and it sat in his garage for two or three years. His wife finally made him sell it. I have no idea what might have been done to this car. My guess is that the distributor, for whatever reason, was pulled and not returned to its original position. I did try to put the wires back in their correct position. Just as my dad had warned -- flames shot out of the air cleaner when I tried to start it!  To complicate things, I discovered that the ECU was bad, thus making my attempts to correct the timing darn near futile. Right now, I think I got it. We'll see!

Charlie

"Cool Factor X"

See what's free at AOL.com.