[BaadAssGremlins] Re: 77 amx rear axle questions/help

[BaadAssGremlins] Re: 77 amx rear axle questions/help

If i remember correctly a Gremlin,Hornet,68-70 Javelin rear ends are
all the same width. Should bolt right in. Joe--- In
BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Dan M." <vegadan@...> wrote:

> Davis,
>
> I have a 1977 TSC and in reviewing the procedure for servicing the
> rear end, there is no mention of these E clips that you described.
> Can you give a better description of how these fit and how they are
> removed?
>
> What kind of noise does a bad wheel bearing make?  Right now, when
> drive the car, the noise that I hear sounds like a ball bearing
> rolling around on a metal table.  It seems to be pretty constant.
> When we took the car for a test drive, the mechanic swerved the car
> from side to side and it didn't seem to change.  I'm not sure if
> this means that it is one of the other rear axle bearing or what.
> All I know is that if the wheel bearings aren't too hard to
replace,
> I may take a shot at it and see what happens, but if it is any of
> the other bearings, I won't chance it.
>
> Thanks,
> Dan
>
> Dan
> --- In BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Davis Martin <martin-
> davis@> wrote:
> >
> > 68-70 AMX and Javelin will bolt right in as well as any other
> small bodied AMC.(Rambler American,concord, Eagle, Spirit etc)
> >    Not sure about the pacer though.  Jeep I don't think will work
> either.
> >    Davis
> >

> > "Dan M." <vegadan@> wrote:
> >           Thanks for all the input. Davis, I would take you up on
> your offer,
> > but I notice from your bio that you are on the east coast. The
> > shipping to the midwest is the killer. I'm not too familiar with
> > interchangeability among the amc lineup. I know that a Gremlin
> > would be a direct bolt in. How about a Pacer? Javelin? Jeep? If a
> > Jeep would work, I'm sure I can find one close by.
> >
> > Thanks Again,
> > Dan
> >
> > --- In BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Davis Martin <martin-
> > davis@> wrote:
> > >
> > > There are also E clips holding the axels in place in the center
> > section so you won't be able to pull the axle the way just
> > described.
> > > I have a good model 15 rear here if anyone needs it.
> > > Davis
> > >
> > > Dave Kaunist <dave@> wrote:
> > > I haven't done this on an AMC but did this on a
> > Mustang. If the AMC is similar its not that hard. Remove the rear
> > drum, flip it around and loosely attach it back on the axle, then
> > pull on the drum to pull the axle out. On the Mustang the
bearings
> > are pressed on so you'll have to go to a machine shop to get the
> new
> > ones pressed on but I think the cost for the bearings and
pressing
> > them on should be in the range of $50-75. You may want to replace
> > the seals also but that is also pretty easy. Slide the axles back
> > in.

> [...]

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: