Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Re: 232 oil pump problem

Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Re: 232 oil pump problem

Not sure for the reason, but good advice.

Robert <baddassgremlin@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Brad/everyone---I personally have not had this problem with the 6
cylinder oil pumps, but the one thing that I mentioned was "install a
new pick up tube" I am not sure exactly why, but the service manual
states "if the pickup tube is removed from the oil pump then a NEW
pick up tube MUST be installed, do not use the old pick up tube" so
with this statement, I suggest since a new pump is being installed
then a new pick up tube must also be installed. I assume it has to do
with sealing/clearances??? Bob in MN.

--- In BaadAssGremlins@yahoogroups.com, Bradley Jones
<wagonmasterx5@...> wrote:

> Good questions, Bob. I will be puting a new oil pump in my 258 when
I rebuild it. Brad

> Robert <baddassgremlin@...> wrote: Very strange
indeed....when the first pump went bad after 5 minutes,
> I would question whether machining debris was still in the engine,
or
> improperly installed. After the first pump was taken out, was any
> determination as to why it failed, discussed or did you just
install
> another pump? Was there debris in the bottom of the oil pan that
> might lead you to the cause. Were both pumps properly packed with
> petrolium jelly and primed before firing up the engine after
> installation?? Was the distributer inspected for damage since it
> spins the oil pump. Was a new pick up tube installed??? Should have
> new pick up tube installed on the new pump. What exactly failed on
> both pumps???? What brand oil pumps were they?? Just curious
> questions to help determine the cause. Bob in MN.
>
> --- In BaadAssGremlins@yahoogroups.com, "paxiljunki" <paxiljunki@>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi guys. Long time no post. I have a problem. I have less than 900
> > miles on my rebuilt 232 engine and just today its 2nd _brand new_
> oil
> > pump crapped out. Thank god I was already in my driveway.
> >
> > The first new oil pump died within 5 minutes of operation and the
> > engine had to be pulled to replace it. Now this. Again.
> >
> > Is this common? Is there a reputable company someone can refer me
> > that sells replacement oil pumps for this engine? I am absolutely
> at
> > wits end. I'm tempted to put the original pump back in it (I kept
> it).
> >
> > Jen aka Pax
> > 78 Gremlin
> > (yeah that was my car on Canadian TV)

> Check outnew cars at Yahoo! Autos.

Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos. __._,_.___

Automotive maintenance Automotive radiators Automotive radiator repair