Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Cheap Designs

Years ago down in Corpus Christi, we lived about three blocks from police
station. Granted it was on the other side of I-37, whihc was in our front
yard. Still, a block away was a homeless missions, 'fishes & loaves' if I
remember right. My dad, who was retired, was fixing to go pick up my brother
in the 76 Pacer. Nice looking little car, especially since in Corpus you
can't keep anything, even garaged, as the salt air eats it alive.

But dad forgot something in the house, and had already started the car, so
got out, went back inside house, got whatever it was, and came out only to
see the Pacer going down the street with crackhead homeless guy behind the
wheel.

He called the police (my dad was ex CCPC Sargent in late 50s) and of course
the police that came out could not stop laughing that 'someone actually
stole a Pacer' and 'we will get right on it' laughing all the while. At
least they filled out the polie report, but the Pacer was never seen again.
One cop speculated it was driven 3 1/2 hours down into Mexico like so many
other stolen cars. So given a opportunity theives will steal anything;
copper wire from churches aC systems; your old Celebrity; dad's Pacer; heck,
do a search on top ten stolen vehicles and watch it light up. You would
think that with all the technology like lojack and gps that this would be
thing of past. It ain't and stuff continues to disappear; this is Houston
Police estimates of how many stolen in Houston....DAILY

http://www.officer.com/article/article.jsp?siteSection=1&id=35665

A estimated million cars per year stolen. Dateline was just filming this in
Houston also:

http://insidedateline.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2007/04/10/116804.aspx

Bottom line is lots of opportunities out there. Ad with my dad's old Pacer
back in ealry 1980s, someone saw it sitting there running, walked by, jumped
in and it was gone!
Eddie Stakes'
Planet Houston AMX
713.464.8825