Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Re: 9" Ford rearend

Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Re: 9" Ford rearend

Jim. Might I suggest when you upgrade to the 401 you get Moser axels. Stock 8 or 9" rear axels will twist 2 1/2 times before they break. When we sent in the axels from the74 Amc Team Gremlin  they were twisted 2 times
 I didn't even hesitate. I got the Mosers for my 72.
 O ya I have a 9" out of a 67 fast back and it was 52.5 inches backing plate to backing plate(1/2" less then the stock grem axel) and 43" center to center on the spring perches.
 I just had to move the brake line to the drivers side and shorten my driveshaft( had to anyway cause of the 727 tranny) and get a adapter universal joint. I also used a matadore driveshaft as they are larger and stronger.
 Davis

Jim Shadwick <idahoamx@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I have a 65/66 Mustang 8 inch ( 57 1/4 ) under my Gremlin....has held up
fine behind a 360/727 combo with up to 290HP
to the rear wheels.....might not be enough behind a 4spd or trans
brake.....I am planning to put a 401 in front of it
so will see if it is up to that task. I am using a 8" wheel with 3 3/4
inch back space and a 10 inch wide tire... fits nicely
under the rear....The center section is about one inch shorter than an
AMC20.....

anyway Ford 8 & 9 inch info....

http://www.enjenjo.com/9inch.html

http://www.woodyg.com/fairlane/finfo/fordrears.html

http://www.dfwmotorsport.com/Fairlane/9inchrearends.htm

Jim

Automotive maintenance Automotive radiators Automotive radiator repair