[BaadAssGremlins] Amc Team gremlin update

[BaadAssGremlins] Amc Team gremlin update

 It has been a while. Last sunday Bill came over and we got the
battery switch in the rear mounted. I had to custom fabricate a place
to mount the switch. Then I put the battery in the box and figured
out where to drill the hole for the cable. Got that done and then
Bill soldered the connections on the cable and installed it to the
battery and the cut off switch. I used 1/0 copper welding cable for
my pos battery cable.
  Now that we had power running up front we searched the wire harness
for the keyed switch power. After Bill cussed me out for removing the
harness when I took the car apart, We found the right wires. Got the
key to work so it energized the starter wire when the key was turned
to start. Hooray!!!  Then I mounted my MSD 7AL2 ignition under the
dash behind the glovebox. There is a vent right there so it will get
pleantyof air.That was enough for that day.
 Thursday when I got home the flexplate was waiting for me. By the
time Bill got there I had the flexplate on the engine, tranny up and
in with 2 bolts in. I got one more in and then Bill put in the other
3 and tightened them all. Then while bill turned the engine over for
me I put the converter bolts in.
 Then we slipped the Lokar flexable tranny dipstick tube into place.
Added a little sillycone and she's all sealed up. I mounted the top
in the previous location and it looks great.
  Next came the headers. I got out the pass side and cleaned the red
goop off from the dyno session. Took the #8 Tube off and put in the
header from under the car. Had to jack it up 5 more inches befor it
slid in. Bill was trying to get the front bolt started while I held
it up from underneath. He said it wasn't happening. So I came up to
look. We had to cut a small tab off from the controllarm with a
sawzall. I had pre fit the headers but with stock heads. The aluminum
heads are larger. So with that done Back under I went and Bill
grunted and mumbled till he gave up and said it couldn't be done. My
turn. Bill dove under the car and I had the first bolt in in under a
min. From there I got the copper gasket inplace and got another bolt
started. Next came the starter. Would not go in from under the car.
SO I decided to try from top. Whadda ya know it dropped right down!!
Glad I got a ministarter!  Got it bolted in and Bill headed home. I
worked for another few min and got the #* tube in and all the bolts
in the header and tightened up.
  Yesterday when I got home Summit packages were waiting. My new
radiator, and 6an fittings for the tranny cooler lines and the
electrical bulked fitting to run the power to the starter.
 I turned on the heat and dug in. I had to take out the brass
fittings from the tranny. Rear one came right out. The front one
crushed from the pressure of the wrench. I had to get out the torch
and heat the tranny arround it then grabbed it with vice grips and
got it to turn. What a PITA but finally got it out. The new AN
fittings went in smooth and I hooked up the front hose and left it
long to be routed and cut to length later.
 OK next came the drivers side header. went in from underneath and it
snaked right in. Took a while but I got the front bolt in and slipped
in the gasket, got a middle bolt in and went for the back bolts. (
sure am glad I prefit everything) There wasn't much room for my hands
as the oil dipstick, steering collum, master cylinder, and line lock
were all right in the way scratching the crap outta my hands! I did
get the rest of the bolts in and tightened.
 Drive shaft. It needs to be cleaned and painted but I want to get
the car running and that can be done later. So in it went! (it was
too cold out to do any painting on cold metal anyway)
   I was ready to call it a night so i pulled out teh new radiator to
check it out. Nice looking and very light. But it is too small. I
need a 26 and this one is a 24. I was thinking I could mount it
easier being smaller but the fan doesn't fit now and I don't want to
buy a new fan so I will send the radiator back to summit for an
exchange on monday.
 Today the wife works so It is me and the boy. Work on the car will
wait till sunday. I do have to get 2 of my propane tanks filled today
though. had somne snow (a dusting) and it is only 12 degrees out.
 Thanks for taking the time to read and follow my progress. I have
posted more pics on my pics page.
 Davis

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional