Re: [BaadAssGremlins] getting crap for swapping to V8

Re: [BaadAssGremlins] getting crap for swapping to V8

Ambassador, yes my brother bought one back in the late 70's at a used car lot. It was a funky orange color. Then he traded it for, believe it or not a Pinto. Ihis AMC was mint. It had a gauge that told told you your fuel consumtion showing good or bad, I believe it was a 72 also. He should have kept it.

Eddie Stakes <eddiestakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
For what it is worth, Houston is almost 10,000 square miles. There are not a lot of mechanics that know AMC anything anymore, the money is all in newer cars with chips and modules. However, I know several old school mechanics some as close as two blocks away, who can take apart a engine and put it together in sleep, or rebuild a whole front end on weekend.

They are not the norm anymore. Anywheres. Whether for AMC, Plymouth, Studebaker, Olds or many other "orphan" marques. And as time goes on, expect it to get worse.

As for the 76 Gremlin, there was millions of Pintos and Vegas made, but you don't see them rolling around anymore either so why would one expect to see a fellow Gremlin? Think about all the 70s cars one don't see in daily commute, many of them, no, most of them, had higher production than anything AMC. My 72 Ambassador here had something like 5200 made, but I guarantee you it is the only one on the road, driven daily, in probably not only Texas but a six state area.

Michigan had some of the highest volume of sales for American Motors in the 50s/60s/70s and there is more AMCs left in your state than all of AR, LA, OK, MT, ID, UT combined.

Again, two keys here: One would be to get involved. Did you know (or attend) the AMC Nationals in MI several years ago? There was over 250 cars on the showfield alone, few National meets
http://clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/ohioamc/
can get anywhere near that total. By involvement, I mena join the AMC chapters near you, either Michigan club of Glass City south of you.
http://clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/amcruisers/

http://clubs.hemmings.com/frameset.cfm?club=greatlakesamc

If not willing to get involved, and this goes for anyone, then you are missing a wealth of fun and information, get togethers, and just hanging out with people from all walks of life.....but SAME interest: AMC.

A big problem is too many people rely solely on the internet, myself included. But the internet ain't going to get me off my fat ass and out to cruise night. Yes, it might tell me about it, but it is still up to me to shine (pick a AMC) up, and make time to go out.

A great example is recently on this same site, someone didn't want to take their Gremlin to a meet for fear of being critisized, shot down, laughed at (from the Carrie movie "their all going to laugh at you!!" Spielberg's first great movie) but they went, had fun, and ironically enough, won something. There is a major lesson to be learned there whether one owns a piece of shit Gremlin in 8 shades of bondo, to a low miler rotisseried AMX with $50K restoration. Again, get involved.

The other key is partially mentioned above. The internet is a great, wonderful tool, however it is there to supplement one's old car experience. Yes, you can learn how to change a gasket, where meets are, find parts, ect, but at the end, or beginning of the day, it is still going to be up to you to put key in ignition and drive to meeting, meet, swap, or whatever.

So contact some of those chapters, ask what events they might have coming up, and chances are you won't be only Gremlin there, much less lone AMCer in a sea of Ford, Chevy, Mopar & Imports. And by getting involved and being at that event, you represent all AMC fans. So have fun!
Eddie Stakes'
Planet Houston AMX
713.464.8825
eddiestakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx