Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Motorola Alternators and Prestolite ignition modul

Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Motorola Alternators and Prestolite ignition modules

Charlie you said you had 40,000 miles on your car? How many times did
you have change the alt? Mine went bad when the car was 11 months old
and had almost 10,000 miles on it under warrantee. The dealer installed
one lasted a week. The next one lasted 10,000 miles and when I removed
it I found out the dealer installed a rebuilt one under warrantee. I
installed a brand new one and every 10,000 miles it would go bad. I
started rebuilding them myself. I did it so many times in 100,000 miles
that I could pull it, solder in a new diode trio, install 2 new bearings
and a brush kit and have it back in the car in 1/2 hour. and for those
sixes where it was mounted under the A/C compressor on the drivers side
it was a chore just to take it out and put it back in. When this car was
new with the A/C on and the radio and the lights and the wipers it would
barely read it was charging 12 volts when it should be 14.5. Th
headlights were dim with everything on. Everyone I know that has an
early to mid 70's Motorola has had the same problem. I know because I
used to make side money fixing them all. When I bought my orange car the
first week I had it the alt. went bad and after a year with rebuilding
my own and futzing with 3 rebuilds from different sources I went for a
100 amp Delco. I should have done that in the first place. It is a real
pain to install a Delco on a 6 cyl on the drivers side if you have power
steering as there are bracket and steering box clearance problems big
time. I had to modify the upper alt adjusting bracket. Modify the
Motorola fan to fit the Delco, grind the Delco alt and the top of the
steering box cover for clearance and use a belt 1/2" smaller than stock.
Ii was well worth overcoming the problems. Now you can turn anything on
and it charges a steady 14.4 volts. Kennedy American makes a bracket
conversion kit to install a Deco on a V8 as long as you don't have A/C.
It is a simple bolt on as my son had one in his Javelin.
"Doc"

http://us.click.yahoo.com/AHchtC/4FxNAA/yQLSAA/YtqqlB/TM

--- Begin Message ---

Yep sure enough, I went out to the garage to take a peek - a "crapola" alternator. Now, what do I do about that? Just what will "more amps" do for me?