Sent: Friday, May 26, 2006 3:33 PM
Subject: Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Re: Gremlin Gas Tank

To me there is only two things you can really do to a 30 year old gas tank. One is like what was said and take it to one of the shops that restores them or two don't touch them and pray. What it sounds like is that it was leaking and they repaired it with a putty type material that you can get at your local Auto Zone. While most call it a temp fix it is advertised as a permanent fix. Actually thinking about it since you got your tank out. Since you are not in a big hurry for the tank. It has a dent and it seems like it has has had a leak. Go have it repaired and have it done right. If I remember right Renu is the name of the process they use to restore your tank and it is guanteed for life, I would suggest a new one but I don't think there is such a thing for a Gremlin. Then again you could put a 61 gallon fuel cell in it. Right guys.
Terry

Bill Renshaw <lionwren@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
--- In BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, BLDFW <bldfw@...> wrote:

> Hey Folks,
>
> When I bought up 72 Gremlin from the original owner
> here in Dallas three years ago, it was in sad not very
> well maintained shape.  Though I drove it home, I did
> not feel it to be in safe roadworthy condition so I
> parked it pending the beginning of restoration.  That
> was over 2 years ago but work has begun, slowly but
> surely.
>
> Knowing I should, and because a couple of friends
> shamed me into doing so, I drop the gas tank to
> inspect it and to empty the bad fuel.  It probably had
> about 4 $1.00 gallons ;-) fermenting gas going bad in
> it.
>
> Now that it's out, I'm looking for suggestions on what
> maintanence (if any) I should consider having done.
> The previous owner (or more likely one of his then
> teenage daughters) high sided the car on a curb or
> something and in the process dented the tank.  I can't
> tell but it looks like it was repaired in two spots
> not associated with the dent.  They look like gray
> putty material but definitely not putty and it wasn't
> leaking at all while on the car.
>
> Should I have someone look at the tank and if so, what
> should I have them do, if anything?
>
> Thanks.
>

> Bill
> Dallas, TX
> '72 Gremlin (gutted and still ready for paint)
> '72 Olds Custom Cruiser Wagon
> '71 Mark III
> '70 Cadillac Convertible

    Bill....
   This is what I learned and it seems that everytime I learn things
the "hardway", but I do learn things that way. I took a fuel tank to
a guy here in my home town to get flushed out and it cost me 35 bucks
and after he told me what he did...I could of done it myself. Take
some Dawn dish soap and if you got a pressure washer your good to go,
or take it to the car wash. Alot of radiator shops now wont work on a
fuel tank because of the risk of blowin themselves up or catchin
fire. Take some dish soap and use a liberal amount and get it good
and soapy inside and then rinse the crap out of it. If you have an
issue of rust, you may have to find a place that acctually works on
fuel tanks. They have a technique now that can coat the inside of it
and that will take care of the rust. Or if you are like me and do
the "backyard" style of mechanics, navel jelly works wonders on rust.
But its kind of hard to get the stuff inside where the rust is. As
far as the dent, theres nothing that you can really do with it,
unless you take it to a place that works on fuel tanks. They can
repair any pin holes and the patches on the tank and take the dent
out. You will have to call around and find a place that will do that
kind of work. First try the radiator shops and if they wont do that,
ask them where you could possibly take it to. As far as the actual
cleaning of the tank, if that is all that you want to do....save
yourself some money, get a bottle of Dawn dish soap and pressure wash
the crap right out of it. To dry...just set upside down and let dry
in the hot sun. Dont let it set for too long or it will rust up
inside. WD/40 if sprayed on the inside will help with the issue of
rust not forming as fast, when you get it hosed out. Hope that helps
and keep us posted on the restoration of your Gremlin. Have a good
weekend and a safe one!!  Bill Id.