RE: [BaadAssGremlins] 77 258 header and carb linkage question

RE: [BaadAssGremlins] 77 258 header and carb linkage question

Dan,
If its anything like the Clifford intake, there should be a piece that hangs
down on the front part of the intake manifold. It will have to be drilled
and tapped for the size of bolt that you will have to use to attatch the
power steering pump. If you go to Brother B's. album at B.A.G. you should be
able to see that piece that hangs down. I am going to have to do the same
thing that your facing now. I will be installing a power steering unit also.
I am not looking forward to it. Its going to be some work to get the proper
alignment. Personally I am going to have a machine shop do the drilling and
tapping, but getting the proper alignment is going to be up to me. On the
carb linkage, I used one off a Chevy. If your going to run a 4 speed you
wont have any issues with the trans. kickdown linkage. I could never get one
to work right, and after burning up 3 904's, I went to the B.W. T-10. I dont
mean that it cant be done properly, it can. I just didnt have the "knowhow"
to make it work. I couldnt even find a decent mechanic to make it work. One
thing that I did do was put a full manual valve bodie in the auto. That
completely aliminated the trans kickdown, but the down side was the tranny
has to be manually shifted. I had to use an aftermarket floor shifter. The
colum shift would not fit by the header. Clifford now uses a shorty header
and there isnt any issues with clearence problems, but I have the old school
long tube headers and there is some issues with clearence problems. Some one
might see this and be able to help ya out. I believe Jim from southern Idaho
has a Spirit with an auto and if I remember right he got his to work
properly. Dont get discoraged, things can be done. Hope that this helps.

Bill Renshaw Lewiston Idaho
AKA Brother B.
AMC'S RULE.....the rest just drool like the dogs they are.
1973 Gremlin X "clone" (project)
1970 Original Hornet "plain jane"

>From: "Dan M." <vegadan@xxxxxxxxx>
>To: BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: [BaadAssGremlins] 77 258 header and carb linkage question
>Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 02:06:50 -0000
>
>I scored a header for the 258 in my 77 hornet.  Along with the Offy
>intake, what do I do with the ps bracket?  I noticed that it bolts to
>the intake or exhaust manifold.  Is there an aftermarket bracket, or
>does anybody know if the ps bracket bolts to the Offy manifold?
>
>The other question I have is that the Offy 2 plane manifold that I
>have rotates the holley 390 carb that I want to use by 90 degrees
>(primaries closest to the engine, secondaries furthest away).  Is
>there an aftermarket linkage that I can get, or has somebody come up
>with an arrangement that will let me use this carb?
>
>Thanks,
>Dan

Home is just a click away.? Make Yahoo! your home page now.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/DHchtC/3FxNAA/yQLSAA/YtqqlB/TM