[BaadAssGremlins] Mirrors

Bill with the right manual mirror parts you can make it a manual mirror.
The way the remote ones were assembled they were not made to be
disassembled and repaired. All the remote parts were crimped and it
makes disassembly impossible as far as I can see. Like I said I bought
the lot of 13 mirrors because due to the pic's I saw with the mirrors I
had and the ones in the lot I could make 2 sets of non-remote mirrors
for both of my Hornet's. If anyone has a mirror glass broken you can
make a card board template and take it to any glassier (home glass place
included) and have one cut to fit. It cost me 11$ for each one. One word
of advice is to only use clear GE silicone to glue the new mirror glass
on. The black silicone will deteriorate the coating on the back of the
glass that makes it a mirror and you will see spots in the glass where
the coating deteriorates Why I don't know.. My 2 sets of non-remote
mirrors are fine after almost 2 years, I had new glass made for all of
them. One other tip. Although the mirror base and housing may look the
same, due to the car big versus Hornet, Gremlin the angle of the base
where it mounts to the door may be slightly different. Also the mirror
housing may look the same but the base for the mirror to be glued to may
not be. I have seen 3-4 slightly different variations in the same mirror
pod. Make a template and have the one you need made. All of the above
info is from personal experience on my orange car. The use of clear
silicone to glue the glass in was from the glass shop that cut me the
mirror glass.
"Doc"

http://us.click.yahoo.com/_7bhrC/NGxNAA/yQLSAA/YtqqlB/TM

--- Begin Message --- So Doc, what can I do with it? Can just the cable be replaced? I would like
to use it, being it is an "X" mirror and I will be building an X clone. It
is not chromed, but a painted housing. Thanks for the come back!

Bill Renshaw Lewiston Idaho
AKA Brother B.
AMC'S RULE.....the rest just drool like the dogs they are.
1973 Gremlin X "clone" (project)
1970 Original Hornet "plain jane"
1974 Matador Coupe "Parts car"

>From: AMC74HORNET@xxxxxxxxx
>To: BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Its kinda cool when.....
>Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 05:24:03 -0400
>
>Bill I have taken these remote mirrors apart and in my opinion once any
>part of the cable mechanism is broken they are trash. That is the reason
>I bought the lot of 13 because there was enough mirrors to make the 2
>non-remote sets for my 2 Hornet's. I would not throw the housing away
>though.
>"Doc"
>

>From: "Bill Renshaw" <lionwren@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>To: BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: [BaadAssGremlins] Its kinda cool when.....
>Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 20:55:47 -0000
>

>You ask for somthing and ya get it for "literally"...FREE!! Doc, sent
>
>me a nice pair of chrome mirrors for the Hornet. THANKS DOC!! And I
>
>found someone else who offered me a box of stuff for shipping costs.
>
>There was some turnsignal lens covers for the Hornet. Really nice pair
>
>of O.E.M clear and some misc. "stuff" Door handles, volt. reg. window
>
>cranks. AND a couple of surprises that I wasnt expecting. A nice
>
>restorable grille "X", and a Gremlin X remote mirror. But the mirror
>
>doesnt have the little handle and the plate for the door panel. Is
>
>there a way I can fix it? Can I replace the whole cable, or do I need
>
>to replace the whole cable to replace the handle? Or do I have to
>
>replace the whole mirror? and that would suck! My free mirror just
>
>turned into a dumpster filler!! :(~ Any input would be grealty
>
>appreciated. Bill Id.

--- End Message ---