Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Weird charging system problems

Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Weird charging system problems

I went through 3 of them 35 amp Motorola pieces of crap on my orange
Hornet when I got it 2 1/2 years ago and the cure was to install a 100
amp 1 wire Delco. Not an easy job on a 6 cyl with power steering. But
well worth the final result. I will never own another AMC with a
Motorola.
"Doc"

--- Begin Message --- OK. About three years ago i replaced the locked up
35amp Motorola alternator on my 67 Ambassador with a
rebuilt(loose use of the term rebuilt ) CarQuest unit.
The alt was locked up when i got the Ambo. The rebuilt
alt  worked fine for about a month or so. THEN it quit
charging completely......i went thru THREE  MORE of
the pieces of crap Car Quest alternators,..EACH ONE
did something weirdly different...WRONG!!!!!!!~!
Finally i gave up and installed a WELL-USED totally
original 1967 Rambler American 6 cylinder 35 amp
alternator. Charged fine at higher than idle
speeed...but the aftermarket gauge showed a slight
dis-charge at idle.Sooo after a year of driving it
that way.....i bought a factory replacement AMC
Motorola upgrade  51 amp unit from Jeff
Kennedy....installed it tonight. WEIRDNESS GETS
WAYYYYY WORSE!!!!!!! At idle speed the needle jumps
around some...unless i turn on the lights..then it's
KINDA  smooth..but higher charge rate than normal.
BUT.... if i rev it up even SLIGHTLY ...the needle
jumps WILDLY back and forth from  14-16 volts????????
WTF is the deal now?????? OHHH YEAH..i've already
tried SEVERAL NOS and Aftermarket regulators...ALL are
the same result!!!!!! WTFFFFF?? I've heard along time
ago that the positive feed on the fuse block can cause
this..BUT..it charged well with the OLD Rambler
alt..except at idle???????? Just ABout ready to fry
the (*&^%$#@ thing!! HELPPPPP Joe