RE: [BaadAssGremlins] Grill Resto Work

Hey Doc... Do you have a camera, and if you do could you take some pictures of the rib reinforcement? Its alllright if ya dont have a camera, I was just kinda curious. I'm not sure how to go about my grille and I need an idea. A Hornet grille and a 2nd style Gremlin grille are totally different, the ribs in my grille dont really need the reinforcement..but the bottom does and I have a slight idea on how to strengthen that up. I think all of us here at B.A.G. would like to see your work. Thanks for the insite on this, I have enjoyed reading your posts. I finally got the buckets done and now I have to paint them up. And your right about the "evil eye", I get the same look from my girlfriend, sometimes I think shes going to beat me with a head light bucket. LOL!! Bill ID.

From: AMC74HORNET@xxxxxxxxx
To: BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,MacsOrphanCarGroup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, mail@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [BaadAssGremlins] Grill Resto Work
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 07:23:59 -0400

After working on the grill 1-4 hours every day for the last 2 weeks I am
down to fixing the last minor crack crack in one of the grill ribs and
have to make a small re-enforcement piece of plexiglass to strengthen
it. This along with the sill plate resto are 2 jobs I never want to have
to do again. When I removed the grill I thought is was just going to be
a simple sand and repaint. Fat chance as with everything else on this
car it turned into a major project with mounts cracked, pieces missing.
The missing pieces have been replaced, the mounting points have all been
repaired and the ones not cracked have been re-enforced. I also added 12
small plexiglass ribs in the rear of the grill to stiffen it up a little
that the factory should have put in and a large one where the notch is
in it for the hood release. With the last repair being done today
tomorrow I will start cleaning and sanding the grill. That is going to
be a real chore sanding each individual rib. There are 5 sections with
12 ribs per section. The wife hasn't said anything in a week or so but I
see her giving the grill and me the evil eye. This job has taken all of
my knowledge of working with plastic from my first model car in 1957 to
starting to work on real car plastic in the mid 70's. The materials I
have used are plastic model sheeting, plexiglass, the Plastic Welding
System 2 part epoxy, JB Weld and Crazy Glue Gel. The flat black paint
will be Plasticote sandable primer, the silver will be East coast Argent
silver rally wheel paint, not a bright silver. Then it all will be
topped off with Eastcoast's Diamond satin clear. My son told a friend at
the auto parts store that he doesn't know where I get the patience. The
guy saw the detail work I did on the turbine wheels and told me he could
not do it.
Being retired/disabled gives me all the time I need. If I want to work
on somthing for 1 hour or 4 it is my choice.
"Doc"

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS