[BaadAssGremlins] AMC engines (was headers wanted)

[BaadAssGremlins] AMC engines (was headers wanted)

AMC engines were also sold to Bricklin Motor Company. My 74 Bricklin for instance, which is all original (and sold it for $2500 months ago and it is still here) is a AMC 360/4V/727 setup. AMC could not make enough engines (360s) and was having trouble keeping up with production in 1974, so Bricklin decided to changeover to Ford engines. International Harvester however stayed with AMC engines in many of their vehicles until roughly 1980. As I mentioned earlier, IH also had two V8s of 345 and 392, and don't look anything like AMC.

It is my understanding that one of the reasons AMC was having trouble keeping up with engine production on the V8 was the new federal requirements for unleaded in 1974. As mentioned on my website under production, AMC ask for, and got, a extension from the Federal Government to continue production on 1974 models......thru November 1974...to take advantage of emissions laws. So production for 1974 models began Aug 1st 1973, the cars appeared in dealer showrooms September 12th-14th 1973 and they should have stopped production July 30th, 1974, but again, ran it months later, that is why you see oddities in 1974 like 1974 models painted 1975 colors like my 74 Gremlin shown here in J7 Jade Green..not a 1974 color but stock paint. It is also why 74 stands out in calender year and total production.

It might be why Bricklin owners usually get asked 'if AMC made that' or 'ford made that' too. And I owned a 73 Travelall that was a blast to drive, big SUV thing, and as with all IH vehicles I have seen a 401 AMC in, two barrel, and painted orange, and of course "400" on the fenders as a badge.
Eddie Stakes'
Planet Houston AMX
713.464.8825
eddiestakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx