[BaadAssGremlins] Re: mileage

--- "Charles Burch" <warlocke@...> wrote:

> all are 14" back are 215 and front are 205 i think and i got a
rebuilt 2bbl carb

  Carburetors are a bad sticking point with Gremlins, they can ( and
do ) go bad in a heartbeat. I've had nothing but trouble with the 2-
bbl carbs on my '74-78 Gremlins, they work fine, then suddenly it's
Niagra falls coming out a seam or something. I had one POUR out the
front, near the accelerator pump piston linkage on my '74 with auto
trans, then the next day, it was fine, no leaks. I couldnt' figure
it out. I wound up replacing it with another carb off a '72 Gremlin,
which it still is using.
  Gas mileage? I got , in my '74 with auto trans, about 17-20
normally, with a downhill thru Ohio to West Virginia of about 24 mpg
once. But usually over 15, you definitely have a gas leakage problem
somewhere if you are getting 7-10 only. Gas tank or tank filler neck
hose leaking? Rubber gas lines underneath all ok? Check the rubber
lines at the tank. Carb shouldn't be that bad, but maybe it has the
wrong jets. Is your exhaust pipe black on the inside out back? could
be a wrongly jetted carb. Are you near sea level, or in mountain
area? A "normal" carb at sea level will run rich at elevation, I
think, due to less air. If you ordered a reman carb, and are in the
mountains, you may have a carb jetted for "thicker air". Something
to check for. Doubt a parts chain will have a database for that type
of thing. Hope this has helped somewhat. - Jerry in Virginia -