Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Hood spring whoa's and @%^%$!!!!

Glad the lock trick worked with the ignition switch. I been doing this
stuff for over 40 years so I have a bag full of tricks. Those hood
hinges really suck in these cars. It has nothing to do with the springs.
The pins wear from non-lubrication. Even when they are lubed they wear.
I had that problem with my yellow car. I replaced the 74 hinges with 82
Spirit ones. Spray the crap out of them with either WD 40 or what I have
found is better called Blaster. I never saw an AMC that the hood fit
properly after they were 10 years old. My yellow car's hood  has a
slight bend in it from bad hood hinges. The orange one doesn't. Sorry
about your friend, but relatives can be worse. Friends you can pick and
they can go but bad relatives you are stuck with forever. I know from
personal experience. Have a good day tomorrow. I hope the car starts for
you.
"Doc"

--- Begin Message --- Went up and put the door tumbler back into my Hornet yesterday. I
didnt do alot because it was snowing like a cow doin' its thing on a
flat rock. But the key does fit the ignition and it turns like it
should! GREAT TIP THERE DOC!! THANKS A BUNCH!! I did find an AMC rim
for it to replace the trashed one and I got some good tires on it.
NOW, I have a problem with the hood. It seems to me that the hood
springs are rather "tight" to say the least. To get the hood back
down you have to gently wiggle the hood from side to side to get it
to come back down. Is it because of the hood hinges are in need of
some wd-40 or is it because the springs are not just broke in? In all
of my "running" lookin' for stuff I have seen quite a few AMC's with
a bent hood, and I would have to kick myself really hard if I bent
that hood. What can I do to prevent this from happening? I guess I
could take the hood springs off, but then knowing myself I would
forget and open the hood and of course it would come crashing down
and "bonk" my bean bucket! *$%@#$!!! THING!! Then there would be some
more kickin' myself! LOL! Sunday will be the day I "try" to get this
car to run. I have to go finish a job that was started last weekend
and needs to be finished. My so-called "friend" went and burned a few
bridges this past week. I have known this guy for about 25+ years and
its really sad what "money" (GREED) will do to a person. Thanks again
and any responce on the hood issue will greatly be appreciated. Bill
Id.

--- End Message ---