Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Re: Pin on or bolt on hood??

Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Re: Pin on or bolt on hood??

Olly,
 You definitly don't want to do that. Bill got a hood for the Amc Team spirit and the quality sucked. The rear left and right corners of the hood are warped and stick up perminantly. I wouldn't buy anything from Frank unless I was there to inspect it before I bought it. I also have heard stories of long shipping times (like months)
 I found a guy local that also does Carbon fiber and kevlar. Immagine my gremlin hood with that scoop all made of carbon fiber! That would look AWSOME on my black Gremlin X
 Davis

Olly <mrmopar00@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Davis,

No problem.  What happened with Frank's?  I was thinking of ordering a cowl hood for my 80 AMX but now I'm not sure if I really want too!

Olly

Davis Martin <martin-davis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Olly,
 Thanks But I found a guy that can do it and he also is comming over later in the week to look at my car to give me an estimate on Custom headers. He will look at the hood mold I have at the same time and give me a price on that as well.

Definitely stay away from Showcars.  What happened with Franks?  You might want to try AAR Quality Fiberglass.   http://www.aarqualityfiberglass.com/ Great to deal with.  Doesn't offer any AMC items yet but never know what a simple email or phone call could do.

Olly

Davis Martin <martin-davis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Eddie,
 Yes the bolt on would be great but I am looking at 500+ bucks for a gremlin hood. Frank's quality has gone south and he doesn't return calls. Show cars I have heard lots of quality issues. VFN is supposed to be ok but shipping is hugh and so are their prices and they don't carry the scoop I want.
 On the AMX hoods I have a nice rust free never been rusted 69 hood that has a few minor dings in it. Not even a crack in the underside. I put it up for 1100 and no bites.
 Davis

eddiestakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Personally I would go with bolt on.   I have used bolt on aMX 68-69 hoods thru the years with no problems, they are reinforced for the hinges nicely. Look great and a fraction of the weight of a stock steel 68-69 AMX hood. However to some, there is no sub for sheetmetal, and others can't afford, or unwilling to shell out $800-$1400 for a good, rust free stock 68-69 AMX hood, so nice alternative. Also have not had any issues with paint here in the Texas heat with fiberglass hoods. The only problem I have had that I can think of is you have to tell shops that just because the car is ol,d don't mean you have to slam extra hard doors, hood, trunk or anything else, they close just fine, and many times I will demonstrate to them how I want my fiberglass hood closed. Done same on Machine rims, as some of the mimimum wagers want to just slap the rim on the tire removal machine, and forcibly remove the trim ring, so you have to let them know it is not to be removed at any costs, and if so, they are looking at a $500 replacement, so handle with kid gloves, which they do once they know!

I believe that several places offer fiberglass fender, and doors, for the Gremlin series also, might be a good place to talk about costs, shipping and especially fit from places like Franks, Showcars, VFN ro name a few.
Eddie Stakes'
Planet Houston AMX
713.464.8825
eddiestakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx