[BaadAssGremlins] Re: Any lawyer wannabees out there?

[BaadAssGremlins] Re: Any lawyer wannabees out there?

Hi Rod, out of curiosity, since I have been a Houston bartender & manager at
a variety of places in Houston since 83 (and years before that in Corpus
Christi) what type of place were you at that they required a bouncer. This
will come up in court, and my first suggestion might be to get ahold of that
establishment's records, something your attorney can easily do. In other
words, if this place has a 'record' of 911 calls, or is a 'public nuisance'
or is notorious for mayhem, this will be brought out in court as to why they
did not have proper security. A 'bouncer' is not proper security for a place
that has a rep. Ask me, I know, and have been both sides of the coin in 25
years of this business.

Secondly, I am not sure what state you are in, however, since you are
charged with assualt, is it a class 3, 2, or 1 misdemeanor, or a felony of
any type. If felony, you very well may be facing some time in county. Here
in Texas for instance a Class 3 misdemeanor is 'up to 6 months in county
jail and/or $500 fine' while a more serious Class A misdemeanor is 'up to
two years in county and/or a $4000 fine'. A felony means if convicted, you
lose certain rights like voting, which is probably the least of concerns
right now, but also many job applications require you to disclose this!

Something you might consider, and again,ask your Perry Mason to check into
this, is what I mentioned above. There is a possibility, regardless of who
started what, that the establishment you were at was 'unsafe' and can be
proven in court that 'it was unsafe and unbeknownst (eh, you Gremlin
assholes like it when I talk like that and burrito juice drips down my chin)
but it was (insert that big word again here) to you that this establishment
was unsafe.

While not going to bore anyone, you asked advise. I am not a attorney, but
have worked nightclubs for over 1/2 my life. At one place I was working, we
had a guy come in who was a known brawler. He had two shots of tequila, and
two beers and was chummy with a coke head at the end of the bar. Everyone,
including me, thought since they knew each other for years, they were buds.
Booze affects everyone differently however. Next thing you know, 'Leo' threw
'Damon' against the wall, and all hell broke loose. Me and another guy
shoved him out the door, and they continued on outside while the cops were
called. 'Damon' got the shit beat out of him. Both left before cops called.
A month later, while both guys were effectively barred, Leo had his attorney
serve papers at the place 'because we didn't have any security' and needless
to say, we were floored by this, he started the fight, he beat the holy hell
out of the other guy, then says it was our fault and wanted $10,000. The
owners got spooked and settled for $5000. Think about how screwed up that is
for a moment. But it was not also in the best interest of the club to have
that negative publicity for months and in the news. The last place anyone
would want to go watch a sports event would be that place if they pick the
paper and see this crap. So it effectively was better to settle with the
asshole than lose more than $5K in businees due to bad publicity. I thought
if it thena nd now, as extortion, and thought Leo didn't have a case. Other
attorneys (and we have some of the best here in Houston, ya'll keep tabs on
the Enron mess and learn names) but some attorneys the club owner talked to
said Leo did indeed have a case and a jury would probably find for him, and
it would be more than the $10K he initially wanted. Simply amazing someone
can go into a place, wreak havoc, and then say it was that place's fault
because 'they didn't have a manager on duty' or 'no security' both of which
possibly could be effectively be applied to your situation.

$1k for a attorney is shit. You will easily spend a lot more if you wish to
have effective council. If you want to stay out of prison that figure will
quickly climb to $3K-$10K I assure you. Again, some of this will depend on
what your state charges are, and what the DA wants to acctually charge you
wish and the severity of each charge.

I hope some of this shit above helps. Good luck. If you think your injuries
hurt now in that battle, you are fixing to go to war in court. Again, my
only suggestion will be to be ready and prepared.
Eddie Stakes'
Planet Houston AMX
713.464.8825
eddiestakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx