Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Re: Got My Car Back From The Upholstery ShopYester

Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Re: Got My Car Back From The Upholstery ShopYesterday

Hey Brad I doubt that even Chip Foose would even try to tackle a mid 70
AMC interior with all the plastic parts. Them guys cry about all the
work but when they need parts the open a catalog and pull out a credit
card and all of a sudden all the parts they could possibly need are
right there. The only repo parts I was able to get was a carpet kit
which needed a lot of futzing with to make it fit, repo door and hatch
gaskets and window channel and the door glass eye brows and a cardboard
glove box insert. I spent 1 1/2 years repairing and hunting down
replacement plastic parts that could not be repaired. I made new door
panels and hatch area panels  from scratch. I upholstered them myself
and diamond tufted them. I even made a diamond tufted panel for the
under side of the hatch. I removed the whole interior. Fixed one small
rust spot in the floor. Dynamated the roof and the floor. Dyed the
headliner and all the plastic parts. Cleaned and repainted all the
exposed metal surfaces black. I used the back seat from my yellow Hornet
because it is now a 2 seater with the 12 point cage. I installed a set
of Javelin buckets I got from John Rosa. Kick panels and plastic
windshield molding, free from a friends Gremlin in town that runs the
Ardsley AMC show. The replacement for the warped and cracked dash is
made up from parts from all over the country from 7 different cars. Rick
here at BAG gave me a dash frame and a dash center section with a
factory radio delete panel. I used a glove box surround from my original
yellow Hornet. The gauge panel came from a swap meet a few years back at
the Ct. AMO show. I added an Auto Meter tac in the clock position. I got
a replacement center A/C vent assembly from Oregon. The package tray is
from the original interior as is the glove box door. I  had an under
dash factory gauge pod that a that my son gave me and I made a new face
and added Auto Meter gauges too. The sun visors were made from parts
from 3 different cars. Rick also gave me an AMC ignition switch, The car
had a GM one in it. He also gave me inside door handles. The springs
were broken on mine. The column shift indicator came from Oregon. All
dash knobs were replaced with billet aluminum ones bought from Ron
Francis Wiring custom machined and modified and polished to fit by me. I
also added billet knobs to the stock AMC window cranks. I added a 73
Hornet "X" steering wheel a friend from Alabama got for me along with a
modified Jeep Horn button. With all the parts ready it has taken me from
starting assembly in mid feb. last year till just before Christmas to
assemble and the seats were just done after the new year. Not bad for a
severely disabled old fart. Not wanting to brag but I AM as I don't
think Chip Foose or Boyd (The Dork) Coddington could have done any
better a job than me. The streets are dry and as soon as the fog lifts
and the sun comes out I will take the car out for another drive today
and take pic's of the finished interior. I'll post them as soon as I
can. I still have to restore the 2 door sill plates as there are no
repo's available. The wife has given me a big honey do list to do today
before she went to work but I am taking the car out for a nice long
drive. Honey do this!!! BITE ME!!! I am going cruising and will see if I
can take my AMC friend who runs the Ardsley AMC show to lunch. Have a
nice e day everyone.
"Doc"

--- Begin Message ---
You ain't seen the interior of MY Hornet.....It needs an extreme makeover...HEY CHIP FOOSE!!!!!

rebade1 <rebade1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
And people say there isn't anything like Santa Claus and a delayed
Christmas present. Glad to hear about them Doc!!!

Now if you can only convince that guy to move to Minnesota, I've got
some work for him :-))

Ralph

--- In BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, AMC74HORNET@xxxx wrote:

> It was a real surprise as from the way he was talking it would be at
> least 2 weeks since he would lose the monday after Christmas and New
> years as working days.
> Doc"
>

> Doc,
>   ;  That's a great suprise. Hope your weekend is as good!
>    Davis
>
> AMC74HORNET@xxxx wrote:
>   What a surprise yesterday when I was leaving the house when my
cell
> phone rings and it is the owner of the upholstery shop calling to
tell
> me the car is done. A bigger surprise was the final price. 650$ I
waited
> 5 months for this shop to take the car to do the 2 bucket seats.
> Christmas day when me and the wife and 2 son's were going to my
> daughters I discovered the back seat had some splits in between the
seat
> insert pleats. They use some kind of heat to simulate a pleat seam
and
> stitching at the factory and that is where they always split. I had
> bought 3 yards of the factory insert material without the phony
pleats
> and stitching from a place in Oregon for 145$. The upholstery guy
said 1
> 1/2 yards would do it but I always t hink ahead and just to be on the
> safe side bought 3 yards. The upholstery shop sewed the insert
material
> and made it match the factory pleats. You could not tell the
difference
> between the factory and his work, although I think his work is far
> better. He also did the complete bottom cushion of the rear seat
that
> had the splits. I didn't get an estimate for the job but figured
the 2
> buckets for 800$ and 200$ for the back seat bottom cushion. So 650$
for
> such beautiful work made me very happy and it also offset the extra
> money I will have to pay the soda blaster for the rear window louver
> tomorrow. I did however find another slight problem. I have a water
leak
> on the drivers side in the front. The carpet was damp near the kick
> panel. So the yellow Hornet will have to sit outside so the orange
one
> can dry out in my garage and when my friend has time I will take it
> his shop and let him find and fix it. Also it was a good thing I
bought
> the extra material and was able to do the rear seat, and there is
enough
> left over to do the 2 buckets in my yellow car. They will be done
in a
> week or 10 days too. I am a happy old man. :-)~
> "Doc"
>

> Yahoo! Groups Links

--- End Message ---