RE: [BaadAssGremlins] awesome detail on model pace / MPC rep

RE: [BaadAssGremlins] awesome detail on model pace / MPC rep

By and large, they tended to run about double the cost of the US kits,
but the finite details, accuracy of that detail and the fit and finish
were far and away well-worth the extra cash.

My best result was a Russian T-62 tank I did. I was about 20 then and my

modeling mentor, a friend's father, like to pass by and through tip at
us as we labored. But on the T-62, I'd worked alone and quietly. When
finished, he was astounded at how good it looked. I had gone nuts and
weathered it, added subtle rust and oil stains...and in a moment of
'let's try this', I grabbed a handful of grass blades, tied them in a
bundle using another blade, then carefully laid it across the front and
rear of the tank chassis. It looked like crap when I first did it, and
he suggested I remove it. I decided to leave it be for a few weeks to
see how the grass dried out. Well, in a word...phenomenal. We were both
astounded at how good it looked.

My other military triumph was a US Halftrack that I'd really given Hell.

Mud everywhere, rust, oil...even bullet holes. I even gave it a wheel
alignment issue by balding the outer edge of the left/front tire. The
windshield also was spider-webbed on the passenger side.

I recall giving similar treatment to a Star Wars AT-AT, the four-legged
walking machines. Had to custom make certain parts that the MPC kits mad

way too thick looking. Used Mountain Dew cans for thin aluminum sources.

Ah, the good ol' days of what my buddies and I now recall as 'Grumman
Summer'!

Hey...I just found some poor photos of the tank and AT-AT taken 22-24
years ago!! COOL! See them at these links:

www.JavelinAMX.com/temp/kit-atata.jpg
www.JavelinAMX.com/temp/kit-atatb.jpg
www.JavelinAMX.com/temp/kit-t62a.jpg

John W Rosa