Re: [BaadAssGremlins] sand & Gremlins in snow

Re: [BaadAssGremlins] sand & Gremlins in snow

Title: Re: [BaadAssGremlins] sand & Gremlins in snow
I REMEMBER DRIVING MY NEW 1970 GREMLIN IN THE SNOW 35 YEARS AGO--OF COURSE IT WAS MY PRIMARY CAR AT THE TIME. Oops, sorry about the CAPS. The original 6.00x13 tires gave kind of a tenuous grip to the pavement , so I did buy a set (5) of Michelin X radials, which made a real difference. I never had any high speed handling problems after that, and no cement in the back.  I always carried (still do) an old army entrenching tool (a short little folding spade)  and a couple of gallon milk jugs full of gravel (better than sand) in the back in the winter, especially (like Hal said) for helping out somebody else.

A full gas tank makes a real traction difference with a Gremlin. Simple math--the Gremlin tank holds about 21 gallons, and gas weighs about 8 lbs 4 ozs per gallon, so the difference between a full tank and near empty is over 160 pounds (THE WEIGHT OF TWO BAGS OF CEMENT)--and it's right over the drive wheels.

Fast forward to 2005--In the last week--because I'm trying to sell a couple cars and my storage situation is changing--I've had the opportunity to drive both of my Gremlins in the c-c-c-cold and snow/ice. The 1972 (258-3speed) is pretty good. Sometimes need a second gear start to get rolling without spinning the tires. The 1973 (304-auto) is absolutely terrible. Just too much low speed torque and too high an idle speed. All I have to do is let my foot off of the brake for the tires to break loose, and braking is just as bad. What a contrast--so it's hard to make a blanket statement about Gremlins being good or bad in the snow.

I love my four wheel drive Gremlin (also known as an Eagle SX/4) which will go just about anywhere through anything--but you still have to watch out for all the 4x4 pickup and SUV drivers who seem to think it makes their pr*ck longer to drive fast and stupid when it's slick.
Onree

on 12/7/05 2:21 PM, eddiestakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx at eddiestakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx did write:

Actually on driving AMCs in the snow, if I can find the photos, there are several Eagles that STILL do duty at several Michigan airports! And yes, in the snow. And AMC's marketing relied heavily on marketing the Eagle Series as snow ready. Here are a number of original brochure photos of Eagles off Arcticboy's website, and there is the Airline car. There is a interesting story behind that as all the SUVs and 4X4s they have at that airport, the Eagle was the only one to not only start, but also worked tirelessly pulling carts, small airplanes, and well, pushing dead vehicles in a major snowstrom they had up there in 2001 I believe it was. Jim Wajda is the prez of the Bricklin club, good fellow, but the article appeared in several magazines, really neat to see:
http://www.arcticboy.com/Pages/arcticboyseagle.html

As for Gremlins in snow, nah.....
Eddie Stakes'
Planet Houston AMX