[BaadAssGremlins] Re: sand

Interesting topic. In the early 1970s when my father, who recently passed
away, was working at All American Motors AMC in Corpus Christi, people would
bring their Gremlins in as seems some of them had trouble with the car at
speeds above 70mph. What to do? At this dealership they would give them a
loaner car. And tell them to come back the next day. In the Gremlin they
would add a space saver spare (not full size), a bag of cement, 50lbs, and
if I recall, change the jack to scissor, I believe they had full sized,
can't remember. But they would also level it, and add a carpet piece back
there, so if one looked in, you don't see anything. Some cars got a space
saver spare cover (I had abuot a dozen blue NOS ones in stock last year,
sold them for $29 each) to, but not sure why especially if the spare was
covered by carpet. It was a big joke to the guys who worked there, as one
can imagine the face of the Gremlin owner when they went to change a flat
and found Don Knotts staring up at them from a big bag of ACME (real name)
cement.

But no one ever brought back the cars for 'getting squirrley' again either.

Fast forward to 2003. I bought a origial owner 75 Gremlin X, 258, 3spd, AC,
PS, PDB, loaded out dark brown car, from the 70+ year old owner. Really
sweet little lady and had all sorts of stories to tell about 'Greta The
Gremlin' too, like driving on I-10 near El Paso at over 100mph in it when a
cop pulled her over and let her go after they both had a good laugh that a
Gremlin could do 100mph (she was in her 60s when that happened!). But when I
got this car home, and started cleaning it up and detailing it, I was
stunned to find a brick hard (humidity had gotten to it decades ago) 1982
dated ACME cement bag...with old Don Knotts and his goofy eyes staring up at
me. He was the spokesman for them way back then, riding the popularity of
the Three's Company thing I guess. Lifting it out of there was a chore. The
car had a full size inflated spare and it was 13 inches. Scissor jack and
lug wrench. So I called the lady back up and she confirmed that Archer AMC
on I-45 are the ones that put that bag back in there two decades earlier. I
took photos and wrote a article about it for I believe AMO, as it was a
funny story and I guess still is, and not sure how many places used the old
cement trick to keep the Gremlins butt ends on the road, but obviously it
worked in two cities 200 miles apart. Not sure if there was a AMC bulletin
or directive either on this, chances are no, but just word of mouth 'hey
this works, go get a $0.79 (1970s/80s prices) bag of cement.

Greta the Gremlin was sold for $1500, and Ross Gustino flew in from damned
near San Francisco and drove it home, abuot 1400 miles if I recall, quite a
drive, only problem was a oil sending unit went out in Phoenix and was
sparaying oil, but a quick trip to Auto Zone for another and he was on his
way.

Cement is about $3.50 for 80lbs at Home Depot, just bought a bag a few weeks
ago.
Eddie Stakes'
Planet Houston AMX
713.464.8825