Re: [BaadAssGremlins] was another gremlin on the road/now Alternators

Re: [BaadAssGremlins] was another gremlin on the road/now Alternators

It should be a 65 amp Delco. For $30 if I thought I was having troubles I would
go ahead and replace it. The only problem I had is when the guy said it should
be putting out 200 amp. I know new cars have 200 amp + alt. of course with all
the electronic junk they have on them they need it. I think my Cougar has a 130
amp alt on it. I was reading somewhere that some of your newer cars are going
to higher voltage. I want to say 60 volts but I could be wrong. It was saying
in a few years all the cars would be at the higher voltage because it is just
taking to many amps at 12 volts to run all the junk.
Terry

> My son's 72 Javelin had a 35 amp Motorola but no A/C and when you had
> the lights on and the defroster and the elect wipers it was barely
> marginal. Then turn on the stereo and the head lights would go dim. It
> finally died. His friends father had an ignition repair shop and built
> him a custom 65 amp Motorola which lasted a week and re-built it again
> and now it has been good for 1 1/2 years but the car is not driven
> regularly. There is supposed to be clearance problems putting a Delco in
> a V8 AMC with A/C on the compressor. On the 74 and older Gremlin's and
> Hornets with a 6 cyl there is a steering box clearance problem putting a
> Delco in if you have power steering due to the larger box. Most of the
> long time members here remember what I had to go through to put a Delco
> in my orange car 1 1/2 years ago. Modifying brackets, machining the
> Motorola fan to fit the delco and finding a 1/2" shorter belt and
> shiming the drivers side motor mount. The alt housing and steering box
> still needs to be ground a little for clearance.
> But turn on all the electric's in the car and it still charges 14.5
> volts. Do that in my other Hornet with the Motorola and it drops from
> 14.5 to just below 12 volts.
> "Doc"
>

> Yahoo! Groups Links

http://us.click.yahoo.com/VpTY2A/lzNLAA/yQLSAA/YtqqlB/TM

--- Begin Message ---
--- Begin Message --- AMC also used a 55 amp Motorola.  I think this was only on V8's with A/C.

Todd

On Tuesday 06 December 2005 05:53, AMC74HORNET@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> What year Gremlin is it and does it have a Motorola or Delco alternator?
> The Motorola only puts out 35 amps and I believe the Delco is 65 amps. I
> put a heavy duty 100 amp Delco in place of the 35 amp stock Motorola.
> Both should charge 14.5 Volts. Any more and the battery would cook and
> any less  and the battery would be weak.
> "Doc"

--- End Message ---

--- End Message ---