[BaadAssGremlins] How I caught the bug?.Fast, fun, reliable and cheap(Da

[BaadAssGremlins] How I caught the bug?.Fast, fun, reliable and cheap(Davis' article)

 Hello,
 My name is Davis martin. I got into amc's when I was just barely
18. My girlfriends dad, Bill, had a gremlin he raced once apon a
time and he told me if I found a gremlin he would build a drag car
with me. About 2 months later I found a gremlin for 40 bucks, drove
it to his house swapped the 6 for a 360 and I was hooked!! That car
eventually turned into a low 10 sec race car. That was 18 years ago.
I sold my ½ of the car to his brother some years ago and moved to
CT.
 I somehow never lost my love of AMC's  When I got married and
bought a house that happened to have 6 garage bays I just had to get
another gremlin!!! So I did just that. It was a v-8 conversion
missing the motor. My  friend Bill and I made the 2200 mile round
trip to pick it up in Benton, KY
 I spent the next year cleaning and modifying it. I stripped out the
heater core, carpet, rear seat, pass seat, and welded in frame
connectors, and a full 8 pt roll cage. Then I went to work on the
rear. I tossed the stock 6 cyl peg leg rear in favor of a ford 9"
rear from a 70 mustang  at a local yard for 100 bucks. Sandblasted
and painted the rear added 4:56 gears, a minispool, and new brakes
for another 300 dollars. I replaced the crusty leaf springs with new
heavy duty 5 leaf units from ESPO for $160  and used their poly
bushings which were an extra 50 bucks. To tame the axelwrap I went
with competition engineering's 70 mustang bolt on traction bars $150.
   I removed the gastank , cleaned it sanded the rust off and
painted it. I added my own home made 1/2 " fuel pickup to the tank
and reinstalled the tank. I plummed the ½" line to a holley black
fuel pump, a Barry Grant filter, holley pressure regulator.
 Front end was redone with new stock bushings, new ball joints, new
steering components, new 90/10 shocks, new heavy duty v-8 cooil
springs, and a complete new disk brake setup from an 82 concord.
This was all at an estimated cost of about 450 dollars.
  Now on to the engine
 I got the idea that I wanted to see if I could get into the mid
12's as cheap as possible with a 360 with stock lower end. I bought
the 360 complete out of a 78 waggoneer at the local junk yard for
100 bucks. Removed everything except for the rotating assembly. Even
with 140K miles the crank and rod bearings were in acceptable
condition so on to the build I went. Meticulously cleaned the block,
new freezeplugs, new paint seymore EN-66. I had a small issue as the
stock 8:1 compression just wasn't gonna do. I found ROL made head
gaskets that were .036 thick as opposed to the stock .045 that
helped. I was also lucky enough that Bill was switching to aluminum
heads and sold me his ported heavily modified iron heads with 50cc
combustion chambers. They came with hardened push rods, push rod
guide plates, and comp cams roller rockers. The heads and gaskets
brought the compression closer to 10:1
 Now for a cam. I called around and not many cam manufactures had
interest in AMC. I finally talked to Ron Iskyderian at Isky cams and
explained my goal. I was able to give him the required info on my
combination and hea didn't have a cam for my application. He said
they would have to custom grind me a cam. 140.00 later I had a nice
cam 236 duration @ .050 540 lift. I went with summit lifters 48.00
and summit roller timming set 42.00. Bill helped me degree in the
cam set at 4 degrees advanced.  The engine was to breathe thru a
holley 650 DP I got for 50.00 and rebuilt by Bill with a 60.00 kit.
This sat atop a 1" open spacer and a torker intake. The ignition was
taken to task via an msd 7 al2 thanks again to Bill!! To an msd pro
coil 90.00 and n MSD billit electronic distributor 219.00 summit
racing.

 The oiling was improved via a new pump Bill had designed some 15
years ago. This oil pump is made of aluminum and I knew I had to
have it. Bill only had 1 spare set for his race car so I decided
with his help that I would get them reproduced again. We have been
selling them for 2 years now and have helped many amc'ers solve
their low oil pressure issues.  I used the race kit along with a
Milodon deep sump pan and pickup 340.00
 The tranny I got from ebay 300.00 freshly rebuilt TF727. I got a
used reverse pattern man valve body with trans brake 100.00 and an
unknown namebrand 4000 stall converter.
 Shifting is done by way of B&M pro stick that was donated.  The
last thing was the drive shaft and safety loop, Again Bill to the
rescue. He donated a custom made aluminum loop and helped me shorten
the driveshaft in his workshop.  Wheels were 195/75/14's in front
and 28X9X15 M/T slicks in the rear.
 The car was completed still needed some minor body work and a paint
job but it was ready to race. We took it to  Bristol dyno and tuned
the combo. We eventually got 296 HP to the rear wheels!!
 Off to Lebenon Valley Dragway for Mopar/AMC day.  I was verry rusty
on my first run and miss shifted and was late at the lights but was
solidly in the 12's with a 12.89 !!
 I made a best run so far of 12.60 @ 107MPH and I was even told that
daylight was seen under the front tires on one of my launches which
had a best short time of 1.8 sec.
 So it can be done completely stock cast rods unpreped, stock
rodbolts, stock unpreped cast crank, stock cast pistons all with
140K miles on them surviving to 6500 rpm's with Bill's race oil pump
kit.
 I want to thank my wife Lisa for putting up with all the nights I
spent out in the garage and for taking care of our son Aran.
 Now what can I do to get into the 10's  What a disease dragracing
is and couple that with the addiction I call AMC's  It never ends!!
 Davis Martin
 Amc Team

http://us.click.yahoo.com/WpTY2A/izNLAA/yQLSAA/YtqqlB/TM