[BaadAssGremlins] Re: Update on Concord AMX

[BaadAssGremlins] Re: Update on Concord AMX

Those rims were affectionately called 'flower petal' rims. If I recall they
are painted flat gold, and were the only 78 AMX to receive that treatment
although other AMCs could have those rims, only the black AMXs, like 71
black SC/360s, had a few 'special' things you would not find on other
production color SC/360s or 78 AMXs.

If anyone needs some of those rims, I believe I have several sets, $100 a
set less caps, and trim rings. The trim rings however interchange with
almost all 69-83 rally rims.

According to a dealer price form, the black AMX had a "gold" (bling bling)
package not available on other production AMXs, it was a $49.00 option. Some
of the uniqueness of this was the gold stripe that ran along the upper
fenders, upper doors, the abruptly stopped at the door and up and over the
Targa band to other side. The black cars also got blacked out stainless trim
like around the windshield. Inside the vehicle, a cheesy piece of black tape
was used so rear passengers would not be looking at well, the innards of a
Targa band. That Targa band was used from 1977-80 on Hornet and Concord
hatchbacks.

I've said this before but it you ever remove the Targa band, it is one of
the worst hack jobs I have ever seen. The other is the roof spoilers on
69-70 MOD Javelins. Be careful even attempting to remove the Targa band,
personally I would leave it alone, simply because the thin weatherstrips AMC
(ok the Milawukee skunkworks that dolled these and the 77 AMXs up with
flairs and stuff) but the thin strips to hold that tin are decades obsolete
and nothing you will find will be able to replace it, been there done
that......in the 1980s.

The 78 AMX was the only one to use the kidney bean tailights, and the only
one to have a machined dash with square gauges (in a Concord). The bumpers
were denicked and dechromed to be painted same color as the car, which
(doing from memory) could be had in I believe five colors, yellow, red,
black, white and blue.

Neat cars I would estimate less that 275 of them still around. Not a very
high survival rate, btu didn't sell well either, and AMC had some major
quality control problems, and sadly, had begun negotiating with LeSurrender
Renault in talks in 1978. Most of the quality control problems were with
undercoating, cruise control, and I believe carb related, might have to do
some diggin on this one however.

I have put a few photos in here, hope they come thru, maybe you can save or
print, of the big dealership AMC catalog, about 2 feet x 2 feet, it has real
pieces of seats, options, and so forth on heavy cardboard stock, about 10
pounds whole book. This is what the salesman dressed in bellbottoms or green
leisure suit would show you at the dealership. Few of these rare books
survive as 95% of the dealerships threw them away after that model year. So
hope some of these photos help. You have a unusual and rather rare car. The
78 AMX and 80 AMX are the only two AMXs I have never owned. Granted my
chances of finding a 75, 76 VAM AMX are slim anyhows, but have had chances
to buy both 78 and 80 thru the years and just have never had either money,
or room to do so. Good luck with your sled.

PS: it is hard to take good clear photos of this big 78 book as the pages
are glossy cardboard, but if you want better pix, email me directly and I'll
see if I can get some closer, possibly angle shots of the important things
like text.
Eddie Stakes'
Planet Houston AMX
713.464.8825