[BaadAssGremlins] Road Trip for the Concord AMX (long post)

[BaadAssGremlins] Road Trip for the Concord AMX (long post)

Well, I flew with my son out to eastern Ohio to pick the Ebay car up.
We changed the oil, fuel filter, air filter, checked all the fluids,
brakes, front end. Bought new tires and tightened up the front wheel
bearings, as they were plenty loose. Left lower ball joint was a
little loose but nothing to complain about. The rear brakes looked
like someone had just redone them with springs and everything. The
seller said he hadn't done them, so the previous owner must have just
before this seller got it. Speedometer, tach, and fuel guage didn't
work.

Got on the road and went about 200 miles and the fun began. We turned
on the headlights and eventually they started going on and off
repetitively. Finally made it to a rest area and checked all the
wiring and grounds. Figured out it had to be the switch, so I pulled
the dash and pulled the switch out. It was hot, so I left it out and
connected. The vent cooled the switch and no more on/off. Oh, and the
speedo cable had just been disconnected.

Then just after we left Ohio and got into Indiana, the car just
stalled while we were driving. Got out and checked, fuel in carb,
spark, good battery voltage, alternator seemed to be good. After the
stop, we tried to start the car and it started, so off we went for
about 30+ miles and then the darned thing stalled again. Well, I've
narrowed it down to a couple things. Fuel pump, bad float in the
carb, electronic ignition??? Suggestions???

To make a long trip short, we ended up stalling, waiting for a while,
then starting off until it stalled again. If it hadn't been midnight,
I would have stopped and bought a carb kit and rebuilt it on the road
just to see if it solved the issue. We drove the rest of the way to
MN that way and it turned a 12 hour trip into a 24 hour trip.
Discovered that pouring a little Lucas fuel injector cleaner in the
carb when we stalled/stopped made the car run a little longer before
it stalled again.

But, my son and I had fun after we got used to it and I sure did
enjoy riding in the old AMC bucket seats again. I figured out that
the car got about 21 mpg based on the highway mileage signs and what
I had to put into it after the first fill. Other than the stalling
problem, the car ran real smooth and just needs some shocks on the
back. Handled real well.

The car has some poor front floor boards, a scrape along the right
rear quarter, and someone primed(naval jelly) the rust spots on the
hood. The clutch and tranny seem to work very well and the car road
very smooth. Did I add that the box of parts had two speedo dashes,
some woodgrain dash pieces, and some other odds and ends. We also
were given four AMC wheels besides the regular ones on the car. When
I get a chance, I'll through some pics up of the car.

It was a great two days of fun!!! Now, I've got my son into the AMC
tradition... $810.00 and about another $600 for expenses. I told my
son that it would probably be the best money he's spent in a while ;-
))))