Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Wheel bearings-again.

Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Wheel bearings-again.

I hate to tell you Dan but me and Davis told you so. Replace them and
forget about them and install new wheel seals too.
"Doc"

--- Begin Message ---
Dan,
 For the 6 bucks per bearing it isn't worth the trouble NOT to replace them. The noise is from worn out bearings. They can look great but if they are worn out they will be noisy. replace em and don't worry about it for another 20 years.
 Davis

"Dan M." <vegadan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
OK. This weekend, I cleaned the bearings on my 77 hornet and
checked them out. They appeared to be good, and the races looked ok
too. No marks or discolorations, and the bearings spun freely. I
packed them by hand, installed them, and buttoned everyting up.
When I spun the wheels, they spun freely, but made a sound, kinda
like a ball bearing rolling on a table. I asked a neighbor, and he
said that the bearings sounded a little dry. So, I went out and
found a bearing packer, and attempted to pack the bearings again
tonite. Since they had the fresh grease from this weekend, I did
not reclean them, I just repacked them using the packer. One thing
I noticed when I used this tool is that the grease came out from the
bottom of the bearings, not thru them. Well, I reinstalled
everything and got the same noise! Did I do anything wrong? I f so,
what? Should I reclean the bearings and start from scratch? The
only reason why I am going thru this exercise is because I removed
the hubs to replace the upper/lower basll joints-I didn't have any
problems with the bearings. In fact, I noticed that before I
removed the hubs, when I turned the wheels, they made no noise at
all, so that's why I'm thinking I did something wrong. Thanks for
any input.

Dan