[BaadAssGremlins] Re: 78 Concord AMX & more

[BaadAssGremlins] Re: 78 Concord AMX & more

It is a rather unusual, and rare vehicle. With a production of 2540 made, I
would estimae less than 200 survive. The black ones have a number of things
different on them, unlike other production colors, just like 71 SC/360
Hornets had a few things you would not find on regular colored cars, only
black. Somewhere here I have a big cardboard dealer ordering catalog, about
2 feet by 1 foot, which is a Data Book, and if I believe has a few of the
items mentioned unique to black only cars. Regardless of black or not, (I
had a chance to buy a red one, really beautiful flowing lines) the 78
Concord hatchbacks took the stylish 73-77 Hornet hatchback series to a
higher level with smooth corners. This was noted also in a number of auto
magazines at the time.

This wonderful bodystyle lasted only I believe thru 1980. There were 2300 or
so hatchbacks made in 79, and if you got a D/L many times it also had a
Targa Band on the roof like the 77-78 AMXs did. But AMC had some real
quality control problems from 76-78, including a massive strike that shut
production down for WEEKS at time in 1977. AMC had something like a $46.5
million loss for 76, and the lots were clogged with 1977 models, and AMC
could not give them away. Who wants to buy a new AMC when every nigth on the
news you see a recall or strike?

1977 saw $2.2 BILLION in sales, mostly from Jeep, and ended up $8.3 million
in the black. Gremlin sales down 12%; Pacer, which was supposed to "carry"
AMC thru the mid 1980s....
sales were down 23% (from 76; and this was a car only 3 years old!) and the
Matador, which was supposed to be the "other" car carrying AMC's wad at
least thru 1980, sales were down a staggering 37%. Free AC! Rebates! Price
Cuts! None of the shit worked on the buying public. There were major shakeup
in AMC's management; and AMC also started bringing in the four cylinder Audi
engines. Imagine for a moment if they had those in 1974 when OPEC cut off
supplies in 1973.......
 http://www.palestinefacts.org/pf_1967to1991_oilembargo_result.php
AMC sales would have been thru the ROOF like hybrid cars are now with gas $3
a gallon!

Still, we can Monday Morning Quarterback all we want (and I had SD +5 last
night hee hee) on what went wrong, what went right, miscues, management, and
so forth in the 1970s. Don't change a thing.

Most of above is taken directly from AMC itself. Sadly, in AMCs reports to
stockholders. Back to the 78 AMX, how about some photos and what are they
asking for it? You know you could get the interior in a variety of Levi's
colors, although most people just chose black vinyl.
Here is one of these beauties in blue, note the "flower petal" mags:
http://www.arcticboy.com/media/eagle/conchatch78.jpeg

Here is the 79 stlye and note the Targa Band I mentioned earlier:
http://www.arcticboy.com/media/eagle/conc79hatltbl.gif
Arcticboy's site mentions it was the last year for this hatchback stlye, for
some reason I thoguht 1980 was but I am not a Concord expert either. I
believe 2331 were produced in 79 like this.

A stunning silver 1979 Concord hatchback, there are those flower petal rims
again:
http://www.arcticboy.com/media/eagle/conc78gs.gif

Good luck with it, if you pass on it let me know and I'll put the lead on my
website to give someone else a shot at it.
Eddie Stakes'
Planet Houston AMX
713.464.8825
eddiestakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx