Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Digest Number 966

Thanks Davis,
I got the decals from the following site.

http://www.americanpartsdepot.com/ncExterior.htm

This is also where I got my Levi's Decals.
Paul

__

Message: 11 ? ? ? ?
?? Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2005 04:29:17 -0700 (PDT)
?? From: Davis Martin <martin-davis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: New Pics of The Blue Bomber

Paul.
?Your car looks awsome. I have the same wheels and have thought of restoring them but don't have the trim rings.
?Where did you get the 5 Litre V/8 stickers for the rear pannel??
?DAvis?

gremlintyme <pdgable@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi all,
I have updated the photos of my car to include the Rally Rims which
it has now. I finished?
these wheels myself and am pretty proud of them. No intention of
getting trim rings for the?
time being as I think they look pretty good this way. Look under Blue
Bomber if you are?
interested.
Thanks
Paul

Yahoo! Groups Links

[This message contained attachments]

Message: 12 ? ? ? ?
?? Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2005 07:48:56 -0400
Subject: The Fight Continues

In my 40+ years of messing with cars and I mean all brands not just
AMC's from 50's and 60's classics to all out race cars I have never has
so much trouble with one car as I have had in the last 2 years with this
orange Hornet. No matter what I do it it's a fight, nothing ever fits
right, up dated conversion kit's, repo or original factory parts. I know
I am a pain for fit and finish but this has gotten to be ridiculous. If
some one had offered me 5,000$ cash yesterday for it I would have taken
it and the loss of the other 5,000$ I have in it and my 2 years worth of
work. After almost 8 months on this interior job I figured I was closing
in on the finish of the job except for the !@#$%^ bucket seats being
upholstered. 3 weeks ago I started on the last item to be installed.?
The dash. Granted it is made up of parts from many different cars (5)
but almost nothing fit's without a hassle. The latest is while fighting
the inst. panel in I knocked the speedo lens loose after fighting the
inst. panel in. I was able to pull it out with masking tape and super
glue it in without removing it another time. The super glue fogged up
the edge of my nicely polished lens a little. While screwing on my new
brake "T" handle after moving the wiper delay box I screwed it in to far
and it ruined the lettering on the handle. That's no biggie i'll just
buy another for 3.75$. Now I wire in the elect kill switch and test
everything and it is OK. With a good charge of the battery the car
starts up 1-2-3. I hooked up the speedo cable as my friend was to busy
as his helper did not show up for work and he was swamped with work.
What a trip that was twisting my fat crippled old A$$ in position to do
that, I was lucky that my back didn't go out. Now I figure I am in for
some smooth sailing as I now just need to install the package tray. I
figured i'd just go for a test fit of the brackets and see if the holes
in the kick panels and all lined up with out the factory gauge pod
installed. I used kick panels out of a non package tray Gremlin a friend
gave me. I used the original broken Hornet ones as a template to drill
the mounting holes for the package tray and when I installed them the
holes lines up with the holes in the door pillar fine. I install the 2
"L" brackets and they do not have the right angle to let the package
tray go in far enough to allow the screws on the kick panel to line up.
There is little or no adjustment on them. I had been up since 2am and it
was 4pm and actually found myself about to doze off under the dash. It
was time to call it a day. I just don't understand it, it's not like I
am an amateur and have never done this before. This winter I will be
happy to do some easy work on some AMC models for a change. I will be
heading out in a while to my friend shop to give that car hell again. I
have 3 cars, my Chevy is down with a brake problem non one can find, the
orange Hornet is not driveable yet. Thank god for old reliable my yellow
Hornet of almost 32 years. ?
"Doc"

Message: 13 ? ? ? ?
?? Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2005 08:07:46 -0400
Subject: Re: Re: Cruise Control components

Love them Rat Rods. Brings back memories from reading the little pages
when I was a kid in the mid to late 50 & early 60's. For all you kids
all the hot rod magazines from that era are now called the little pages
because of their small size compared to the size they all are now. I'll
send you an invite to my group.
"Doc"

[This message contained attachments]

Message: 14 ? ? ? ?
?? Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2005 09:32:38 -0500
Subject: Re:Spirit AMX Grill on Ebay

Hi, actually these 79-80 AMX grills in 'perfect' shape (unlike the one in?
the auction which has some slight imperfections) sell in the $150-$250?
range. $90 was a real bargain. For a comparison I guess, I used to have?
dozens of NOS grills like Javelin, in stock. The stuff has dried up however,?
and sold my last 69 Javelin grill in stock for $1600; and 70 Javelin grill?
for $1200 last year. Wished I had more of them, but neither, including the?
79-80 AMX grill, will ever reproduced either, so as a hobby, we are left?
with 'what's out there is out there' and as time goes on, less and less?
stuff, and people looking for same stuff.

A grill is on my "high demand" short list and has been for years of stuff?
for people to save, or buy. The list includes tailights, mirrors, radios,?
tilt columns, heated rear glass, hood ornaments, and gauges to name a few. I?
posted that a few months ago here on what to look fro when junkyarding.?
However, few junkyards still exist with AMC anything in 2005/2006 and much?
has been lost in the past 7-10 years due to the high price of steel and what?
some nations (ie: china, and Greece) will pay for it. That coupled with the?
ever changing enviromental movement, of which most do not like old cars, and?
salgave yards (gee, us old car people were recycling in the 60s befor it?
became 'cool' you know) but the deck is stacked against us.

There is a file on my site about this big problem called "altered amcs".

So please, when you see something like this and not sure what it may be?
worth, just ask. I realize everyone has a budget also on what they want, or?
can, spend on items also. But like the 60's/70s cars we always assumed there?
was a wishing well bottomless pit of parts for, most of us have found out it?
ain't so. I could go out on a limb here about a 70 AMX and give a quick Top?
Ten items every calls and emails about. Hard to compare a 79-80 AMX with a?
70 AMX, but neither sold worth a crap, were dissed by most auto writers and?
their production numbers in the toilet. In the case of the 80 AMX, it, along?
with the slow selling Pacer were axed early in the model year due to no?
demand, so AMC could concentrate what little resources they had on the hot?
selling Spirit and new Eagle Series. Never undestood that decision either as?
the 80 AMX was a Spirit, but no one cared for a 70s looking throwback with?
gaudy flaming fireball on the hood either I guess. Hey, it was 25 years ago!?
As for the 70, not a good time for a two seater, and AMC could not give them?
away in 1970 sadly. But now everyone looking for same shit.

There I guess is a little parallel lesson to be learned there somewhere on?
demand for parts and what is left possibly. I wishd I had saw this grill, as?
I'm a big fan of the 79-80 AMX mesh grill and put them on my Eagles! Two of?
the three Eagles in my collection sport them, the 81 and 88, would like to?
get one for the 82 also!

Either way, good luck bidding, and hunting, my only advise if any is if?
someone waits, the harder it will be to find next time and usually a lot?
more expensive.
Eddie Stakes'
Planet Houston AMX
713.464.8825