[BaadAssGremlins] Re: escape from planet houston

[BaadAssGremlins] Re: escape from planet houston

  Good Luck and I hope everything goes well for you and anyone else
down there. Times like this I don't mind the crappy midwest.
(northern ILL)
                   SCOTT

  --- In BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Davis Martin <martin-
davis@xxxx> wrote:
> Eddie,
>  God bless you and your family. I will pray for your safe return.
>  Davis
>

> eddiestakes@xxxx wrote:
> Real quick before I go. Rita was upgraded to a Cat 5 hurricane a
few minutes
> ago. Tuesday night I went shopping for the usual hurricane stuff:
can
> opener, bottled water, candles, batteries, flashlights, can goods,
dry stuff
> like cereals, pop tarts, and other crap I'm not supposed to have
now that I
> got got diagnosed being Diabetic a few months ago. Still, Tuesday
was not
> bad shopping, hurricane still around the Keys in FL. However. Last
night I
> went to Wal Mart, Home Depot, Dollar Store and Sams and what a
free for all.
> A number of WHOLE ROWS were shut down in Sams as people were
buying
> Gatorades, bottled water and sodas. Some rows had palates shoved
in the
> middle of them full of canned tuna and other slow to perish stuff.
>
> The rows were long, and the people were many, and most carts chock
full,
> even those flat carts bulging. That was at Sams. At Home Depot as
soon as a
> truck pulled up with plywood people desended on it like it was a
new Star
> Wars movie. The 18 wheeler sold out in MINUTES. More to come they
said if
> people were going to wait, as Home Depot was extending their hours
into the
> early AM to try to load shelves back up. Many shelves had been
stripped
> clean like locusts invasion. That was at all four stores.
>
> Hard to find, if not already out (and most stores were out of same
stuff)
> was bollted water, masking tape, D and C batteries, Cymalumes, and
it was at
> a point at the Dollar Store and Wally World where poeple were
buying crap
> one normally would not like canned beets. I'll drink a pint of New
Orleans
> water before I'll eat canned beets. But the panic buying was scary.
>
> I've been thru many hurricanes thru the years in Texas, worst one
was Celia
> on Aug 3rd, 1970 down in Corpus Christi, we lost both houses. I
don't know
> what 'category' it was but wind gust broke the gauge at the
airport at 161
> miles per hour. All out Ramblers had glass blown out from rocks
off the Coca
> Cola roof next door which were like bullets. These came off the
roof at such
> speed we found them EMBEDDED in the side of one of our houses.
Several of
> the cars looked like Tu Pacs car with holes in it. No 'thru' the
metal but
> damned close. We also had a 500 lb fan come off the Coca Cola
plant and hit
> our roof and knocked a gaping 10 foot hole in the roof which got
bigger with
> each gust.
>
> Back to Houston, there is MANDATORY EVACUATIONS for Galveston and
other
> areas southeast of me right now. The traffic is absolutlely
unbelievable;
> basically a solid like from Galveston to the Woodlands on I-45,
about 80
> miles. And about the same heading west on I-10 and NW on 290.
Hurricane Rita
> is expected to shove a 15-25 foot storm surge into Galveston bay.
If you
> have ever been to Houston you know that completely covers
Galveston, but
> also takes out Kemah, League City, Tiki Island, Santa Fe, and like
Alicia 22
> years ago, could very well wash out areas up to NASA!

http://www.texasfreeway.com/Houston/photos/45_galveston/45_galveston.
shtml

> The forecast track of Rita is "supposed" to hit near Matagorda.
I'm not sure
> some of you have ever heard of Indianola, Texas, but here it is:

http://www.texasescapes.com/TexasGhostTowns/IndianolaTexas/IndianolaT
x.htm

> And almost 105 years ago the US's worst disaster with more than
6000 lives
> lost from a hurricane 65 miles southeast of where I'm writing at
the moment,
> about 38-44 feet "above" sea level here however:
> http://www.1900storm.com/
>
> Yup, even a category 1 hurrcane sucks. And sometimes even if they
are no
> "wind" events like Allison was in 2001, which is the costilest
tropical
> storm in US history with over $5.5 billion dollars in damage:
> http://www.srh.noaa.gov/hgx/projects/allison01.htm
>
> Anyhows, gotta go, still a LOT of stuff to do before Rita hits the
coast
> somewhere. Windfield is about 100 miles to either side of eye,
that is
> hurricane force+ winds either side of eye, but wind around the eye
area is
> over 150mph, there ain't nothing built I can think of to withstand
that.
> Sort of like being inside a F4 tornado for 6-15 hours, depending
on how
> fast....or slow.....the hurricane is moving. Katrina is still
fresh in
> everyone's minds and should be about the destruction these big
storms can
> cause. So you prepare for the worst and pray for the best.
> This is a live shot of Houston radar some of you might look at
from time to
> time, especially Friday night/Saturday morning, which is when
bitch Rita
> supposed to visit:
> http://www.click2houston.com/wxmap/971287/detail.html
>
> This is the Weather Channels website, shows projected path, but
more
> importantly has up to the minute imagery in case local radars get
knocked
> out:
> http://www.weather.com/
>
> And funny, there were over 110,000 evacuess from New Orlenas in
Houston