Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Overheating problem

Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Overheating problem

Paul, If the 'add-on' gauge is 15 degrees off and your factory gauge is going to half way then I think your in the 'ballpark' (means OK, I noticed lately we'all be havin' a problem with the meaning of certain words) an erratic reading could be caused by the resistor on the back of the gauge cluster going bad and when that happens sometimes the gauges read ok and sometimes you'll get higher readings and sometimes you won't get anything at all. THIS IS NOT UNCOMMON ON A 30 SOMETHING YEAR OLD CAR.   Gary 'The Mix'
Subject: [BaadAssGremlins] Overheating problem

I think this has been covered before but I think I did not get an
answer. My Gremlin runs like
a top but if it is in traffic, it gets pretty hot. I have two temp
gauges--the original one and an
add on type. It gets as hot as 220-225 on this gauge. I was told by
one shop that there was a
15 degree error on that gauge. Still, even the standard gauge goes
past the halfway point
which I never experienced with my Six Cylinder Gremlins. I put in a
new two core radiator.
The car ran a little cooler but still got pretty hot in traffic. I
got rid of the fan clutch and put in
a flex fan--still got hot. I am sure everyone is thinking "Ah but do
you have a fan shroud?"
Yep, I just got one from Tony Zamish-still gets hot.(BTW, he is
really a great guy despite
being invoived with AMCWC back in the day. Give him a chance if you
are looking for stuff.)  I
know some people suggested adding electric fans but that just doesn't
make sense. That is
not really solving the problem. You are just trying to stop the
symptom.  I seriously doubt
that this Gremlin left the factory in 73 overheating even though it
has no fan shroud or flex
fan and it has A/C!! What's up? I am not realy sure I should even
worry as I have never noticed
any actual overheating happening(ie dieselling when shutting off the
ignition or knocking on
acceleration. The coolant is not boiling over either.) I think it is
better to worry about
something when it is not really that serious a problem rather than
wait to blow a head gasket
or worse. Yes I did check to see if the head gasket is blown and it
is not.
Thanks for any help
Paul

<FONT COLOR="#000099">Get fast access to your favorite Yahoo! Groups. Make
Yahoo! your home page
</FONT><A HREF=""http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/YtqqlB/TM" target=_blank>http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/YtqqlB/TM"><B>Click
Here!</B></A>