RE: [BaadAssGremlins] Found a funny item in the rear hatch area...

RE: [BaadAssGremlins] Found a funny item in the rear hatch area...

Both my hatchbacks have the hidden compartment but they are not locking.
Was that an additional option?
"Doc"

Give the gift of life to a sick child.

--- Begin Message --- Lu,

Did you know that Hornet hatchbacks came standard
with a flat cargo floor with a full-size spare tire
Lying on top (under a formed carpet cover), and that
A 'hidden locking compartment' beneath the normal
floor was optional and included a space-saver spare?

Well, the 'door' for this hidden compartment was plain
old wood, painted black. When I first saw it, I thought
the original door (which HAD to have been steel, I
Assumed, just like the one in Eagle wagons) had been
damaged years ago and the car's owners MUST have created
his own replacement. But in researching the car further,
and seeing photos of other such cars, I found the wood
hatch to be factory-original!

AMC sure knew how to squeeze a nickel!

John