[BaadAssGremlins] Re: Gremlin Battery Tray

[BaadAssGremlins] Re: Gremlin Battery Tray

While this tray is not for a Gremlin, AMCers are pretty imaginative when it
comes to adapting parts. This one is no expection. I believe someone
mentioned three, and two hole mount battery trays. I have seen both but
honest do do not know whay on the Gremlin and Hornet.

As for helping out, there are a number of vendors listed on my vendors list:
http://www.planethoustonamx.com/bodyVendorslist.htm
that have reproduction ones. Again however, some of these will have to be
modified for YOUR particular application. But they work and serve a purpose
and that is keeping the battery out of the fan! Not sure how many of you
have ever had that happen, but here is a long ass story condensed like
Readers Digest; in 1977 I was driving behind the movie theater in Corpus
Christi on staples near my high school, waiting for my girlfriend to get off
work there and I turned a corner in the parking lot and heard "POP!!!" then
"ssssssss......" the car died and steroe went off, and i got some help to
push my 70 Javelin towards the back of the lot where no one was, realizing
something happened under hood as there was a trail. I opened the hood and
acid was everywhere and quickly got a hose and washed off the engine, and
wanything else. At the corner of Staples and Carroll lane there was a small
car lot, and it had a 70 AMX for sale in the third row, and the place was
closed, so I went and uh, releived, the AMX of it's battery for my car.
Funny that 70 AMX is still around, it was Commodore Blue, but Big Bad Blue
originally from factory. It has worn a number of shades thru the years and
is BBB again. My 70 Javelin was totalled in 1979 however.

Also, about batteries, I had some problems with a new Auto Zone battery last
year, so took it back, they put it on full charge and told me to come back
later. I went back 5 hours later and brought the battery home, of which they
said it was now fully charged. It was warm too. Hooked it up in my 74 Hornet
Sportabout and pushed the remote starter button in the car, while standing
on the side of the car, 'BOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" The damned top blew at
least 30 feet in air and acid all on the side of my house and fence, but
again, had a hose next to car and quickly got it nuetralized. I took the
battery back, thinking baout what if that thing had exploded in the
Ambassador was I drove home first time, or what if I had tried to start the
Hornet under hood like have a million times with screwdriver on solenoid.
Chances are I would not be writing this right now either. So ya'll be
careful with batteries.

Back to the battery tray, my asuggestion would be to get a reproduction
universal one, and put some extra braces on it, especially depending on how
you drive. If you just 'drive' no problem, but into drifting, or racing,
then bolt the sucker down, good luck,
Eddie Stakes'
Planet Houston AMX
713.464.8825