Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Re: I need a Proportioning valve!!!!!! Got one????

Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Re: I need a Proportioning valve!!!!!! Got one????

I am not really up on identifying the difference in brakes but by years.
Maybe someone can be more specific in identifying the kind you have by
sight. I believe the 71-75 were the Kelsey Hays and 76- to at least 79
were the Bendix. The 70 and older were I believe 4 piston calipers or is
it 2 ? the later Bendix & Kelsey Hays are single piston calipers. If I
had the wheels off of both Hornets I could tell you. The new 74 has the
stock factory Kelsey Hays and my original 74 has 79 Concord Bendix
brakes. The 79 Concord 4 door sedan I parted out was a non power brake
car with no proportioning valve as was my friends other 78 Concord 2
door sedan which was power but without a proportioning valve. I plumbed
in a Wilwood adjustable proportioning valve before the disc brakes were
added and set it in he middle for the drum brakes and didn't have to
adjust the valve at all after the disc's were installed as the car
stopped just fine. Oh it also has the stock drum brake power booster and
master. I have investigated this drum brake swap for a few years and
some people say you need the proportioning valve and some say you do
not. From personal experience I have to side with the don't need it
contingency. Both cars stop fine with the car with the conversion
needing a little more pedal pressure to stop as it has the single
diaphragm power booster where as the factory disc brake setup has a
double diaphragm booster. The additional pedal pressure is not
significantly noticed unless you drive the factory stock braked car and
then you can tell the difference.
"Doc"

--- Begin Message ---
> What brakes are you useing? Kelsey Hayes or Bendix.
> "Doc"

I donno. Is their a definet way to know for sure?

--- End Message ---