Re: [BaadAssGremlins] It's a New Week

Doc, It's Gary 'The Mix' in Cleveland..........IT'S ALIVE, IT'S ALIVE!!
The 'new' Mix, I think we'll call it 'The Mix 2' fired up on the first turn of
the key Saturday. That sbc I took out of 'The Mix' last June started up as if
it had only been 'asleep' for two days, not ten months. This Gremmie I
purchased from a guy in Michigan back in Feb.2002, It was on the 'gremlintime' list.
When I decided to take 'The Mix' to the AMO Nationals in Kenosha to celebrate
the Rambler 100 anniversary, Matt from the Windy City AMC club was the first
to inform me that I could bring my Gremlin to Kenosha (650 miles) but I could
NOT park it on the show field as long as I still had the small block chevy
under the hood. I WAS BUMMED OUT. As a member of the local AMC club here in
Northern Ohio, I thought it would be easy to find everything to put this car back to
AMC power. Easier said than done. No one wanted to part with their precious
390's 401's or 360's let alone a T-10 or a three core radiator. Then I saw the
ad on 'gremlintime' for a '74 Gremlin X -360V8 not running for $1500.00. My
wife freeeked out, I already had my '66 Fairlane up on jackstands in the
driveway and had just finished building a '84 Subaru Turbo Brat Convertible, one
more thing would have put her right over the edge!! Using a little common sense
(most of the time I don't have much) I backed off and to my surprise, three
weeks later the ad read "First 500 takes it, my wife says get it out now" Does
anybody else remember that post? I jumped on it (not telling my wife at this
point) A month later it was 'safe' to inform my wife just what I had done and oh
yeah ask her for the money. LOL The deal was made and a friend of mine lent
me his time, trailer and self (good guy) and we headed to Holland, Michigan to
pick up my 7th Gremlin. Was I surprised, this car was from Texas ( STILL HAS
THAT INSPECTION STICKER ON THE WINDSHIELD) HEY EDDIE I'm getting ready to
scrape it off, you need one?! The roof had the paint sun burned off and it has some
dents here and there and some pinhole rust in the rocker panels, but other
than that It Is pretty solid. What was wedged in the engine bay is what got my
attention; how about a rebuilt .030 over 360 with a Lakewood bellhousing, T-10
4-speed, Hurst competition plus shifter, three-core radiator, headers thown in
the back, two gallons of paint and an extra set of L50-15 tires mounted on
American Mags. The catch was that with the Lakewood bellhousing in place (I
think the bellhousing was for a Jeep) the engine/tranny combination would not bolt
up without major modification to the trans tunnel, so who ever had started
this swap (the car was a 258/3speed) gave up. That's too bad for him, because
this is going to be a neat project now. and the drivetrain now resides in 'The
Mix' .
HEY WHAT WAS WITH THIS SNOW ON SUNDAY MORNING? OH THAT'S RIGHT, CLEVELAND,
OHIO IN THE SPRING..................'THE MIX'