Re: T10 Value & Gear Ratios

Whoever has a T-10 for sale they commonly sell for about $250. Sometimes you can get lucky and find them cheaper at swap meetsor even fellow AMC buddies. That is for just the trans. I sell linkage for $100 (others sell it for more) a shifter for 68 $100 and a Hurst shifter 69-74 is $150+ depending on condition. A bellhousing is in high demand and usually start at $100. Clutch/brake pedal linkage under dash I sell for $125 and for some reason have had a 'run' of them selling lately, along with linkages, of which I am now out of. If you have a 'short throw' four speed, those are the most desirable ones. I have NEVER sold one, and would not even for $1000, of which I have been offered close to that. You can find a lot of this code stuff on my website listed under the "parts" file, but here is how to ID the trans.

Usually a tag is attached to the trans at the tailhousing and will give you a vendor number and aMC Part Number. The 'last letter' of the vendor number will give you the ratio. Sometimes this is also stamped on the trans. A example would be AS1 T10P which would be a wide ratio.

"T" series wide 1st 2.64; 2nd 2.10 3rd 1.49; 4th 1.00
"P" series wide 1st 2.43; 2nd 1.76; 3rd 1.47; 4th 1.00
"V" series close 1st 2.23; 2nd 1.77; 3rd 1.35; 4th 1.00

Again, the "V" close ratios are EXTREMELY DESIRABLE and were used in all Hurst SC/Ramblers. I have never sold one in 21 years a vendor, and use them in any 4speed I build. I don't sell Edelbrock R4B's either and have a stack of them.

Keep in mind shipping costs of a transmission core is well over $100 also, and will probably have to be crated. Possibly whoever is looking to buy it can pick it up, or have someone deliver it to the area. If it is a friend, I work out a lot of trades due to the economy sucking rocks also, for instance a fellow who was rebuilding a 69 Javelin in Louisiana needed a trans, and was low on cash, so we traded. I got a windshield, two fenders, and mics dash and interior parts he didn't need, nor want. I didn't need the stuff either, but what the hell, he has been a good customer for years and wantedto help out a fellow aMC fan get it back on the road. Sometimes the money don't mean squat, it is helping other folks! Good luck with your sell/trade/buy and hope someone cuts and saves those gear ratios above for this site and chances are, down the old aMC road, someone will ask gear questions.
Eddie Stakes'
Planet Houston AMX
www.planethoustonamx.com