Why a crossmember?

Hello.
Im just curious as to the big deal with buying a V8 crossmember is?
I have the brand x(Chevy motor) so maybe it changes things, but I
never put one in my ride. We just fabbed a couple small plates of
steel and welded onto the existing one to make my motor mounts.
Not trying to be an ass here either, but genuinly curious. Is it
just an AMC motor thing? Rod