Re: Oil filters

--- In BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "amc74hornet" <amc74hornet@xxxx> wrote:
> --- In BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, twa1950@xxxx wrote:
> > Hey Doc. My dad and your's must have went to the same school. He was the one
> > that told me to never change brands of oil. He had a Chevy and always dealt
> > with a Gulf station that carried Uniflo or some non Gulf oil that he used to put
> > in it. The people at gulf came by and told them that couldn't carry that
> > anymore so he switch brands. The car started burning oil right after that. I think
> > he might have did a valve job on it I can't remember for sure. I do remember
> > going to a junk yard and taking an oil filter off a car and installing it on
> > the Chevy. Before you guys think I am nuts in 54 oil filters were optional
> > equipment on Chevy's. They were the old canister type where you dropped a basket
> > into them. I remember the first Saturday of every month was oil change day. In
> > my house you had the oil changed once a month no matter what. That is unless
> > you went on a trip then you change it before you left and when you came back.
> > If the trip was very long you had it changed while you were there. I guess
> > changing it that often you didn't need a filter. Thanks for the info on Fram oil
> > filters I used to use them all the time. I switched to AC's on my Gremmie a
> > long time ago not because I had any problems with the Fram but because the Blue
> > AC's matched the color of my blue distributor cap. Sorry for being so long
> > winded.
> > Terry
>

> I remember oil filters being an option on the mid 50's Chevys. I have a friend with a 56 Stude wagon that doesent have one either. Honest Charlie & J.C. Witney used to sell aftermarket bolt on oil filters that used a roll of toilet paper as an element. Now you know I am an old fart.
> "Doc"

I have heard about the horror storied about the Fram filters. I had a frend who used one in his Ford pickup. I noticed every time he started it up I could hear the bearings knock for a second. I later learned that some Fram filters do not have a valve in them to keep them primed and so the filter is empty on start up and the bearings are starved for oil for the first second of start up. When he had his engine problem Ford would not make good on the engine, they told him if he had used a Ford filter he would have gotten a free new engine under warrentee. On my beater 77 Malibu with the 305 I use the 2 quart capacity AC truck filter for the extra capacity and cooling. And it dosent stick down below the pan either, it is even with the bottem of the pan.
"Doc"